MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-27-2001, 12:26 AM
TMarshman

Hey, Gary, would mind sharing with us how you set up your third wheel? Thanks!
Old 05-27-2001, 10:58 AM
Gary Mulkey

TMARSHMAN,

The third wheel conversion was not too difficult. I purchased a 14" idler wheel w/bearing and axle from Texas Knife Supply. To mount it I center bored a three inch piece of 2" round stock which I drilled & tapped two holes for set screws. This was welded to a piece of 1/4" x 2" in which I drilled two holes to match the slots on the factory mounting plate for the platen. By reversing this mounting plate (after removing the platen) I am able to simply bolt the new idler in place. The factory slots in the mounting hardware allow me to align the new idler with the drive wheel. Though this is a new conversion, I have ground around 30 blades with it and am very satisfied so far.

Though I have made knives as a hobby for thirty years, I am fairly new to the profession (I quit my job a year ago to be a full time maker). So I must equip my shop as inexpensively as possible until what time that my income from the business allows me to purchase whatever tools I want reguardless of price. Anyway, often a customized tool fits ones needs better than the best commercial one on the market.

If my description wasn't sufficient enough or hard to follow, please let me know and I will be glad to try expound. I always love to talk shop with another maker.

Gary
Old 07-12-2001, 10:21 PM
lwj2

The easy way to change the speed to one half of the RPM is to use a machine drive pulley or sheave half the diameter of the sheave attached to the grinder, i.e., motor pulley at 1.75 inches, machine pulley at 3.50 inches.

Make sure you have the correct pulley/drive belt configuration. Grainger's can, should they deign to, furnish what you need to do the job.

Leon Jester
Roanoke, VA. USA

Tags
knife, knives