MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:47 PM

knife I keep in my pocket

I don't think you folks are going to be too impressed with my knife-making. One, I'm not that good at it, two, I don't really want to make what most of you seem to want to make.

I thought I'd show you my pocket knife anyhow. I bought Don Robinson folding knife book last October or so when it first came out and made this one below right then--I've been carrying it in my pocket ever since:

This has a nice tight feel to it and a 3 1/4 inch blade. The steel is O-1, the pins are 3/32 drill rod, the frame is brass filled with ebony.

I'm happy enough with this as knife for my pocket. I'd be happier if it looked a little better to me. By this I don't mean the shiney well finished knives you gentleman make but a rougher sort of historical knife. I'll probably try for that again.

Mr. Robinson, thank you so much for your fine book.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Hall of Famer

Nsinger,

That looks every bit as good as my first folder. It works, and is very usable.

My first folder was a copy of a Buck 110 lockback folder. Like yours it had an 01 blade, brass liners and bolsters, and the pins were brass rods from a welding supply store..

I still have that knife.I soon learned to make slipjoints that were smaller and looked a little more refined.

Back then, we had no internet forums to help us, but each successive knife improved in quality.

We did have an email club that was very helpful. One of those was the Knife List. There were earlier ones before that.

We all helped each other and learned different skills from each other.

And that's what this forum is all about. helping each other to learn.

So give us your first name and keep it up.

Congratulations on catching a never ending quest for a better knife in your pocket.

Thanks for showing us your knife. As you can see, you got my attention!

Last edited by Don Robinson; 01-03-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:47 PM

Don, you're quite the gentleman.

My name is Robert Bernstein, I'm 62, a carpenter (though with an Ivy league education), with some prior experience in town government, and my strongest hobby is writing poems. I live in Vermont but I've been to Brownsville a number of times, first in 1970, and latest around 1996, as my deceased wife was Austin raised and I like travelling in Texas. I have a pal living half year in Port Isabel and half in Hondouras now.

Here is a photograph of the steel of the next two I made.

[IMG][/IMG]

I can tell how much pleasure you've gotten out of this interest and my little experience with it has also been enjoyable, though I don't foresee a long or deep involvement. I do have an interest in making a few more and I'll describe these in another note.

Thank you again, very gracious of you.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Hall of Famer

Well, Robert, I've spent time in Vermont. I made several business trips there in the '60's.

I've even spent two weeks in the Governor's Mansion in Springfield. Did a little fly fishing there too. Beautiful country.

That bottom blade looks perfect. You certainly got the idea.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Steel Addict

Robert, Your knife liiks as though it could have been made years ago. apparently you reached your goal. Congrats on knife #1. Watch out this can be an addicting hobby. Dan

Tags
blade, brass, folder, folding knife, hobby, knife, knives, lockback, pins, pocket knife, supply