MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-11-2002, 11:53 AM
Steel Addict

What is a Loveless Style Knife

So what is a Loveless style knife?

In my inability to do much making at the moment I've been trying to read as much as possible and sketch my ideas of what I want to try. But in a lot of reading I keep seeing things about the Loveless style and how it influanced modern knives and how such an easy design it is and how some many start their first knives in this style and adapt their on style from it.

What's so special about it and how do I know if my sketches are following it? And am I wrong if I don't? (just kidding I know I'm not)

A baby's father
Some mother's son
Old 09-11-2002, 12:56 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Usdually when the term 'Loveless style knife' is used the writer is referring to the 4" drop point hunter. The sub-hilt Big Bear fighter is also a Loveless classic.

If you haven't seen the 4" drop point design you're just not looking. Check out the Barney/Loveless book How to Make Knives or pick up any copy of Blade or Knives Illustrated and you will likely see some knives made after these patterns. Loveless also advertises in these magazines and the ads feature the 4" hunter most of the time....
Old 09-11-2002, 01:07 PM
Living Legend

Many knifemakers, over time, develop a style that defines their work.

If you look at a knife made by Terry Primos, it has a design, temper line and unique look to it. If I see a knife or a picture of a knife with a very distinct temper line, the first thing that pops into my head it Terry Primos. It may have been made bo someone else but Terry is the first to come to mind.

If you look at knives made by Johnathon Loose there is a unique style to them. They are "Old" style to me with modern influences. Kinda hard to miss that style and when I see them, Johnathon immediately comes to mind.

When I see creative mixing of steels or very unique knife designs and great filework, I automatically think of Gene Osborne.

When I see this,

and

and

and finally

You automatically think of Bob Loveless.

Bob's knife design (mainly the 4" drop point hunter) is a simple design but a VERY functional design. That is what made this design popular. If you look at the handles of all of the Loveless knives, you can see a "Style" common on them all.

Hope this helps you understand the Style.

Design your knives the way YOU think they should look. When someone can look at a knife and tell it is yours, you are the proud owner of a "Style."

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!

Last edited by Bob Warner; 09-11-2002 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-11-2002, 01:19 PM
Steel Addict

Well freak'n go figure, one of my first designs is a Loveless style

Thanks for the explination and the pictures to go along with it!

A baby's father
Some mother's son

Last edited by mikec; 09-11-2002 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-11-2002, 01:24 PM
Skilled

And the funny thing is, and Loveless will be the first to admit, the drop point hunter did not originate with him. He resurrected the design from knives done in the past. Including the tapered tang.

There is hardly a design being done now that hasn't been done sometime in the past.
There really isn't too much new under the sun.

Old 09-11-2002, 01:59 PM
Steel Addict

You know that is something that I've often woundered about is accidentally copying someone.

I?ve done near 2 dozen good sketches now and as I look through other makers websites I?ll say, whoops there?s that blade, or there?s that handle and I?m concerned about what other makers think when someone does a knife that is similar to theirs.

A baby's father
Some mother's son
Old 09-11-2002, 02:17 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Quote:
Originally posted by mikec
You know that is something that I've often woundered about is accidentally copying someone.
I am not a very creative person, so when I do manage to actually come up with a good design on my own, I make it. If I see the same style blade or handle being offered by another maker, I just hope they go by the motto "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

But seriously, that is a good question, and that may be what stiffles my creativity. I will draw a blade and think, "Nope, that looks too much like Dusty Moulton, Bob Loveless, Terry Primos, {insert maker name here}." I will then discard the design. Maybe I shouldn't do that.

What say the rest of you?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 09-11-2002, 02:39 PM
Living Legend

If you outright copy a design like so many of "US" have done with Loveless' design, just give the design credit to the designer. You will see a lot of people saying their knife is of Loveless design.

However, if you create a design, make it. If you later see that it has characteristics of another knifemaker, that is OK. If you look at the knives out there, it would be pretty much impossible to come up with something that has no resemblance at all to another knife. Maybe your blade does look like Terry Primos' blade but if the overall knife looks different, your not copying.

Make what comes to you.

You won't create your own style with a pencil and paper. It will develop over time. I still don't have a distinctive style after all these years. I just make what I like.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 09-11-2002, 03:05 PM
Skilled

What Bob said.
You will be hard pressed to come up with something that hasn't been done, sometime in the past. The blade might resemble X makers work, the handle might resemble Y makers work Etc.
But remember, both "X, and Y's" work resembles some maker that came before them.
Start out by designing a knife that you like, be it a blend of others ideas. As you progress, you will see ways to improve that design, whether just for looks, or performance. As you incorporate these design changes, it slowly becomes your design. That's usually how it works.
Not being too proud to give design credit, where it is due, helps a lot.

Tags
blade, knife, knives