MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 02-04-2006, 05:05 PM

Engraved,Embossed....Engraving on Leather...Something a little Different!

Here?s something a little different. I did this one time before?sometime a couple of years ago. I have a shot carrier to make for a customer and he wanted a little design on the pouch and this is what I talked him into. I am showing the proof?the finished product will come later. I mounted a piece of Kydex to a piece of plywood and cut the pattern. I then wet the leather and pressed it into the engraved form?.and Wa-La?.the test pattern. You have to remember anything cut in will be raised and if the pattern is left high the pattern will be recessed. I is just like engraving a signet ring. There is no doubt that this could be used on any knife sheath?something I might try later.
This is a little different from any engraving so far but I believe it fits right in with what we are doing. I kind of did a modified leaf and passion flower engraving similar to Marcus?s previous posts. A little on unusual side.
Jim

Old 02-04-2006, 05:39 PM
Steel Addict

Very nice, what a great idea!
Old 02-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Pretty cool, Jim Bob!

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 02-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via ICQ to bigaustin Send a message via MSN to bigaustin
Was the cuts deepper and wider than normal?
Old 02-04-2006, 07:22 PM
Steel Addict

I am amazed at how well it reproduced the detail. I will keep this in mind should I ever make some fixed blades with sheaths. Exactly what are the dimensions of the stamp? It's hard to judge the scale from the picture. Thanks for sharing

Old 02-04-2006, 07:51 PM

Well, it is kinda interesting. You can do as fine a detail as you want. You really nead to have something to apply allot of preasure, for instance, I use a old book press. You could use a milling vise or a heay roller of some sort. Andy, If you make knife cases for your folders....this would do nicely for the face. Somethng like this would make nice book covers....the ideas are endless. Andy the size is about 2 inches at the widest part and the whole thing is about 9 inches long. The leaf structure is about the size of a Quarter....for Marcus...the size of a six pince. Remember...anything cut in will be raised so, cut accordingly. The whole shot pouch is shaped like a leather bottle and should hold about a pound or two of shot. I will take a few days to finish and I will show the finished product at a later date....soon.
Jim
Old 02-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Steel Addict

In the commercial leather industry belts, wallets, etc are done with embossing dies placed on rollers (like a washing machine ringer—Showing my age) then the leather is moistend and run through. The dies are sometime hand engraved sometimes etched. I believe that one or two of our member are actually involved in this type of work. Some insite from those folks might be of interest and also it is another place engraves can market their skills.
Fred

Old 02-04-2006, 10:07 PM
Steel Addict

This just opened the door to a lot of ideas, funny how seeing or hearing something you never thought of before can spawn creativity.

Just one question; what is Kydex?
Old 02-04-2006, 10:19 PM

Tim
Kydex is a heat forming plastic that many custom knifemakers build sheaths from. Most heat the Kydex with a heat gun and then press the Kydex around the knife. Check out the Sheath making forum.
I used this material because it is easy to engrave....I didn't have a large enough piece of PVC. PVC also cuts clean and is easy to engrave nice detail.
Jim
Old 02-05-2006, 06:07 AM
Steel Addict

Jim,
Are you making the shot pouch from leather or wrapping another container with the leather? Take lotsa pictures either way!
Thanks

Old 02-05-2006, 07:06 AM
Enthusiast

Great idea Jim
The detail is as clear as a silicone mold, looks very nice your customer should be pleased.
Couple of questions: did you leave it in the press until it dried and what angle graver did you use? It sort of looks round from the leather imprint. Also is that the depth you normally cut for a pattern this size?
Thanks for the ideas.

Old 02-05-2006, 11:07 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
That's pretty cool, Jim. Great idea. I really like how it reproduces the detail so exactly.

You're just a reniassance man, aren't you?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 02-05-2006, 05:48 PM

Thanks for the comments and questions.
I had not planned to take pictures but I may give it a try. This will be hardened leather shot pouch. Before the leather completely sets it has to be formed into a dome shape?.the edges thinned and hand stitched.
Kerry, the cuts are fairly deep using the same grave that I use to cut metal. I may add a little more heal to the graver?this give a little broader cut. When the leather is pressed into the engraving the sharp cuts seem to come out domed. I suppose if I could get enough pressure the cuts might bottom out in the engraving cut and be more angular. What is shown really doesn?t bother me. Getting the correct depth is something you will have to play with. I can see that there are endless possibilities with this process if you are able to cut some designs?anything can be impressed into wet leather?go for it.
I am convinced that with a good high speed hand tool you could actually do designs and press leather into it?.something anyone could play with. As a practice example?wet a piece of leather and press a quarter into it. It is surprising how much detail you can pick up. Jamey, I have never considered myself a renaissance man?.just someone who want to know how it works?no different than you. Much of this is guess work?I will let you know how it works out.
Jim
Old 02-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via ICQ to deangates Send a message via Yahoo to deangates
hey jim,
maybe that later date will be the georgia guild meeting in statesboro, and yes this is just another attempt at getting you to the meeting. great idea and i'll have to try it soon. if you do make it to the meeting, bring the kydex stamp so i can see it.

dean gates

see my knives at :www.gatescustomknives.net

Tags
knife, knives