MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 10-12-2004, 02:21 AM
Master

How to start selling?

I've been making knives for about a year now, and with a years worth of learning I've gotten to the point where I think my knives no longer suck and are truely functional. I'm confident in my HT and blade geometries, in the ability of my handles to hold up under use, and of my sheaths durability. My fit and finish isn't perfect yet, though I'm not making top end knives either and it tends to be minor purely cosmetic things. Having just spent a decient amount on supplies at the knife show and my new job paying less, it'd be nice to start recouping some of my losses.

Anyway, how would I go about selling for the first time? I figure eventually I would want to do shows and have a website, incorporate into a buisness and all that, but that's alot further down the road. Having no name recognition, would I be better served by selling on forums like here, or auctioning on ebay (with the bonus of not having to decide for myself how much my work is worth yet), or some other method?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 10-12-2004, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
The whole issue here is to get your name out there.....in whatever manner it takes. My first 10 or so knives were given as gifts, and are still out there floating around somewhere. (sure wish I could get those ugly critters back! )

Ebay might be an option, but there is also a stigma attached..... most makers, including myself, hate to see anything of ours for sale on ebay.
Now that your in the position to start selling your work, the real work begins. You have to find avenues that will get your knives into people's hands, and you want to do so in a positive light. Although it can be time consuming and expensive, I believe that going to shows is an absolute must. People can purchase a knife just about any where......but in order to make that special connection between the knife and the buyer, a positive representation and a handshake from the maker are essential. Of course we all want to go to shows and sell everything we've taken with us, but to me shows are more about "PR" than selling knives. It is a constant duty of any knifemaker who wishes to become, and remain successful, to build and protect their reputation. It can take some time, and can be frustratiing, but making a "good" knife is not enough. It must become desirable in people's eyes to own one of your knives. How do you do that? By making each and every knife that leaves your shop the best it can be. Constantly strive to make the next one better than the last, and stand behind each and every one. By doing this, the knives will sell themselves. Your greatest task is to sell the maker (YOU).
As I have said many times...... A good reputation is the hardest thing to obtain, and the easiest thing to loose. Work to maintain a positive reputation, and guard it jelously.

One of the things I did early on in my career was to "give" a hunting knife to some of the popular loacl hunters and tell them......"take this and use it for the season." "If you don't like it, then bring it back." Everyone that I did that to, wound up purchasing the knife after the hunting season. The other good aspect is that those individuals bragged up the knives, and I got more inquires and orders based on that.
Now, keep in mind that had any of those knives been duds, it would have hurt my reputation badly. So, therefore, testing what you produce is also essential.

Make a good product, back it up, and you'll enjoy the rewards.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 10-12-2004, 05:24 PM
Skilled

I share Ed's feelings about ebay and think that the best way to get exposure at the start is to sell on the forums and ask the buyers to mail you a review after they have had the knife for a while. At first there will be minor problems to work out but that is how you learn.

In the long run your own web site is the only way to go. Selling direct to the public is rewarding both psychologically and financially.

Old 11-23-2004, 08:46 AM
Skilled

Send a message via MSN to chrisinbeav Send a message via Yahoo to chrisinbeav
I'm not sure I should post a reply here as it sounds like I have been making knives about as long as you have. Something that I have done; most of my knives have been sold to friends, family, and co-workers. My prices are relatively cheap. I think pricing should be relative to the materials that are used and the amount of experience that you have. Us being newbies, should not be charging an arm and a leg for our knives. One great selling tool is ... well... selling. The more knives you can get out into the general public the more "word of mouth" advertising you will get. That way people can see for themselves and say "this guy builds a pretty decent knife and it's pretty resonable in price". Unless you are one of the big dogs in the industry the buyer is basically looking for best quality for the money. Also, one last thing that has helped me imensly... visit here often and ask lots of questions. There is an infinite amount of knowledge here with many different view points. There really is a lot to offer here. USE IT!!

Chris Nilluka

Tags
blade, gallery, hunting knife, knife, knives, sell