MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 07-24-2004, 08:21 PM
Steel Addict

a hungry dog hunts harder

Old 07-25-2004, 11:58 PM
Skilled

Very well put!
Lucas

Old 07-30-2004, 08:31 PM
Enthusiast

With just the exception of a few long term customers I always ask for half down on custom orders. The reality of anyones finances are they are ever changing. I have had customers laid off just after placing an order, the wife gets pregnant or medical emergancies. On average it only happens once every two or three years. The customers that were man enough to call me right away I have always worked things out with. There have been those that did not say anything to me until I start calling them for the balence due. As someone who makes art peices and swords being out three weeks or more salery on a big sword puts a stain on my ability to take care of my family. I have even had a customer pass away before he could finish paying off his order. Six months after he passed his exectutor contacted me and things got worked out. Waiting six months for half of my payment was better than waiting six months for the full thing.
Yes deadlines can be a strain. But I found that if I have a problem meeting a deadline there is a solution. That is call the customer before he calls you. They really do appreciate it if you are honest with them and beat them to the call. I also give decent amount of time for any order. usually an extra month. If it is done early then the customer is happy. But our materials can be unpredicable. Wood, horn bone and stone can crack or damage easily. If I need to order a replacement part it might take a week for it to be shipped to me.

Tags
blade, knife, knives