MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 06-27-2004, 04:48 PM
Guru

Licensing for the part-timer

Thought I would bring up a topic for discussion.When do you think a hobbiest or part-time should get a business #######? Or should he until he makes the step to fulltime?If he attempts to get a ####### considering our current political state and the recent Steve Licata situation, what would you say to explain your type of business?
Many years ago I tried to start a Custom Motorcycle business and was turned down by the city coucil when applying for a #######.It wasn't until I threatened a lawsuit for discrimination that I was granted a #######.It was not the most fun experience but did come out good in the end.So what do you all think? Dave
Old 06-27-2004, 06:47 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
You don't need permission from the state to get #######d as a business; it is your right. In my location (Michigan), I just went to the county offices where I live, said I was opening a business, registered the name, and was given a tax ID# for filing/reporting income and sales tax.

If you are selling any of what you make, that is what you should be doing.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 06-27-2004, 07:08 PM
Guru

I agree Don on what should be done, but many places such as here require a city #######, then a county ####### then the state ID#.Dave
Old 06-27-2004, 07:10 PM
Living Legend

I have been told (unverified) several times that if one obtains a business ####### and tax id that there is a five year clock within which one must show a profit for tax purposes or the ####### and tax id die. Does anyone know anything about this?

Another thought regarding this is that I am under the (mis??)impression that one can report up to $5000 of "hobby" income a year without having to get into filing business taxes.

Last edited by fitzo; 06-27-2004 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:38 PM
Skilled

I suppose state requirements may vary, but in the New England states in which I have done business there is no requirement for any profit at any time. As licensing of many businesses is usually a revenue generation device, I can't see why any state would care whether or not you made a profit. they just want the ####### fees and the opportunity to collect sales taxes (if applicable in your state)
Perhaps the information you were given might have been confused with the IRS guideline that a home business should make a taxable profit after three years, or the I.R.S. may review the business in detail in an effort to declare it a hobby. Note that this is a "guideline" and not a rule - there are some exceptions, such as a 7 year period for some horse breeding, and what appears to be forever for some large corporations.
To paraphrase the general rule, the business must be run as a legitimate business with a clear objective and expectation of making a profit - there is nothing rigid about any specific number of years.
Hobby losses are not deductible, while hobby profits are always taxable. As far as the I.R.S. is concerned, if that $ 5,000 of hobby income is profit, it is taxable and must be reported on your federal tax return, and probably your state return.
If your state has peculiar laws, and/or any of this is a serious concern, I strongly suggest that you talk with a local accountant and/or attorney; enrolled agents are also sources of tax information.

Old 06-27-2004, 10:39 PM
Living Legend

Thanks, Kelly. It was probably the IRS rules I was remembering, and confusing things. I haven't checked into this in a long time, and I'm at that point where CRS has kicked in!

Last edited by fitzo; 06-27-2004 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:49 PM
Skilled

Dave, why do you need a business #######? If you do that you are just asking for the town or city to come in and tax all your equipment. Anything used to make knives can be taxed as business property. I would not do this unless there is a compelling reason to do so. But since I am not an accountant or attorney you should check with local requirements.

Knives, Tools and Videos: http://www.phlaunt.com/atwoodknives
Old 06-28-2004, 09:57 PM
Guru

Peter,I wasn't concerned about my situation when starting this thread, but was thinking more of some general advice for the myriad of newcomers we have coming into knifemaking.
But, to answer your question. Legally in most places,a ####### is required to sell goods. We all know that this is very loosely enforced, and know many that sell anything from knives to dolls,ceramics to birdhouses without #######s.Unfortunately,if the powers that be want to mess with you they can very easily without that #######.
As far as equipment being taxed, that must be a Yankee thing as I have never had it happen down here in the South.A benefit to having a ####### is to being to write off all your equipment purchases,including belts, sandpaper, handtools, expenses for shows, etc. Another benefit is getting some better prices from suppliers.
Nobody would waste the time going after a newbie maker doing five knives a year,but if that same maker was making 100-200 a year with a full blown website and making a good second income it might be different. Just something to think about.Dave
Old 06-28-2004, 10:08 PM
Living Legend

All valid points, and probably everyone should do it on the up and up. However, when I checked into creating a business of the knives years ago, I came up against zoning laws. Yes, I could make all the knives I wanted to in my home as a hobby, and even sell em as a hobby and the city fathers could care less. The glitch came when I was considering a business. That would be considered light manufacturing, and zoning didn't permit that. I kept it as a hobby thereafter. I think the business/zoning is what caused Licata to move.

Someone a year or so ago suggested in these situations to ####### it as a "design" company, and the knives are "prototypes".
Old 06-28-2004, 10:20 PM
Guru

That's what I was talking about. Zoning may prohibit you from doing the the right thing.I also read somewhere about the "design " concept, but even thought about an artist #######.Just say you do multi-media art(metal, wood and leather) .Dave

Tags
knives