MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 05-02-2004, 09:54 PM
Steel Addict

I know that I sell my knives at a price that I think the average person can afford and what I would be willing to pay for a knife. Yes I sell most of my knives at a craft festival. I have done a couple of knife shows. My festival knives don't have as much time in then as my show knives. So I price my knives accordingly, but once I determined a price it dosen't get lower just to make a sell. I do raise prices once a year to help offset the cost of materials.

Rick

JossDelage

Howard Roark didn't change his vavlues and it work out for him in the end.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:31 AM

Hi Rick,

What defines the "Average Person" for you?

What paramaters do you use to obtain this information.

Or is this just your gut feeling on what the knives should sell for.

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Old 05-03-2004, 10:08 AM
Steel Addict

Les

It's someone between the poor and upper class. When someone picks up a knife and as soon as they see the price they put it down like it's on fire, i know it's out of their price range and undersatanding of a handmade knife. In my area knives under $95.00 sell good, even to first time buyers once they understand the process of making a knife. I do have knives that run up to $150.00 for that customer that already knows something about handmade knives and looking for better quality materials. I've been selling at our local festival for 8 years and this seems to be what the market wants.

Rick
Old 05-03-2004, 06:58 PM
Skilled

Ouch.. 95.00 to 150.00.

I remember those days. sold alot of knives. I had the walmart mentality, sell alot for a little and make the same as everyone else. But I never seemed to get ahead. Decided that I would like to make this thing pay all the bills one day and sat down and did a cost analysis on making my knives. When I added up knife materials I looked like I was making 50.00 or so on a knife. Then I added in belts, sand paper, wd40, lights, tape, cokes, power, popcycle sticks, vacume cleaner bags, business cards, telephone calls ect. and I figured out I was paying the shop for every knife I made. Not to mention donating my time.

I've since set a materials cost and a shop hour price and add the 2 to come up with a price for my knife. If they don't sell right away it sucks but as a knife maker friend once said, "hell boy they don't eat so it don't cost nothin' to keep them around"
I may keep some around for several months but I don't have any that are 6 months old.

I've also changed my market. Other than selling to a couple to local collectors of my knives I haven't sold a knife localy in 18 months. I adverage between 10 and 15 bowies a month and most go to europe or canada.

I did have a good dry spell when I first started with the new pricing, but I can promise you my bank is alot happier with me now. Am I ready to quit being a paramedic full time and rely totaly on knife making? not yet but I'm a hell of alot closer to that goal than I was 18 months ago.

and just to be totally honest I thought Les was nuts when I first started reading this forum.......go figure.

Fear causes hesitation, hesitation will cause your greatest fear to come true.

Old 06-28-2004, 05:30 AM
Steel Addict

Good discussion on a topic that's a real problem for many. I'm about the least prolific maker around, having made 65 knives in four years. I price them by comparing them to the prices and quality of other's sold work, with little or no consideration for the amount of time I have in them. I'm more concerned with the quality of my knives than I am getting a "fair" price for my time. The more work I do the better I become, with less time. That means my net "hourly rate" has gone from zero to somewhere around minimum wage. Fortunately I don't depend on knife income to support us, but eventually it will become a larger part of our life. Selling to dealers I establish my expected "retail" price and deduct 25%. I've found their "retail" price is greater than my own, and most of the knives sell fairly quickly. I'm more frustrated with the slow development of my skills than I am with the price range I sell my knives in. I sell most of the stuff I make between $170 and $350. Most have 20 - 40 hours in them, using basic materials. Cost is usually $30 plus $10-$15 for abrasives and other supplies.

What's another word for synonym?

Tags
blade, knife, knife making, knives