MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 02-24-2004, 02:22 PM
Enthusiast

Looking for E commerce web host

Anyone have any experiences with web hosting for e-commerce? I'm wanting to set up an e-commerce site.

Thanks!
Jeff
Old 02-24-2004, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Yes - Atlanta Virtual - the folks who own and run CKD - www.atlantavirtual.com

I have been through several hosts and AV is tops!

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:34 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
I'll second that. I just dumped a crappy host (cheap, though) for AV, and I don't forsee ever regretting that decision. I had a little trouble getting the DNS entries for my domain updated, and when I called the 800 number for customer support, who answered but the owner, Alex himself! Now where else are you going to find that?

Give 'em a look. You'll quickly realize that unlike many of the hosting companies out there, they really are geared toward professional sites and e-commerce, not just personal blog pages...

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 02-24-2004, 03:35 PM
Steel Addict

Chuck -- if you don't mind me asking -- which plan are you set up on? Do you ever see any hotspots or downtime with AV?

www.burchtreeblades.com
Old 02-24-2004, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Michael -
I ams etup on the $14.95 a month plan due to the size of my site - BTW the shopping cart I use is leased, but eventually I plan on building my own - just no time right now.
I also manage the sites: www.cactusforge.com, www.hawknknives.com, www.kempknives.com, and www.neo-tribalmetalsmiths.com and everyone has told me they are glad to be on AV (two of the sites had been elsewhere and we moved them here and they are much happier. Most average sites will get by on the $7.95 plan with no problem

Down time- once for about 2 hours - due to a glitch in a platform upgrade - hotspots never. I am on a slow dialup service and compared to other hosts I've used the servers are much faster.

Bottomline - if you are a member of the "knifeworld" you can find no better service or friend than ALex and the AV folks - but any site no matter what your content is.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:12 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks -- I appreciate your help. As long as they have good customer service, then I'll be happy.

www.burchtreeblades.com
Old 02-24-2004, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Customer service is the tops - How often do you call up and get the President of the company!

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 02-24-2004, 04:30 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

I echo what has already been said. Atlanta Virtual is the way to go. Here's what I said to Jamey in the Computer Center forum when he was thinking about moving over to AV ...

"... The uptime is phenomenal. Alex and crew are savvy enough to schedule any planned maintenance type down time for the off hours (wee hours of the morning) when the customers needs are at their bare minimum. Also, they don't just pull the plug. Customers receive emails (advanced notice) giving the date and time of these planned maintenance windows.

No matter what time of day or night, I have been able to reach tech support at AV when I had a question. Seriously, I have called AV at 2:00 am with a question, and had Alex himself answer the phone.

I remember when Alex had to leave town to check on some property in another state a few years ago. He took along a laptop and checked in on the forums while on the road, and I mean while stopped in the car. I think he linked up by using a modem and cell phone in the car, or something like that. Boy, I was impressed.

Your account comes with a plethora of useful tools to maintain your site, set up webmail, monitor site statistics, and the list goes on and on."

I have never regretted moving over to AV. They are top notch and professional all the way.

Click the banner above to visit my website
Old 02-25-2004, 04:09 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the good info!

Jeff
Old 02-25-2004, 04:22 PM

I took a look at AV's latest pricing structure, and it has really gotten compettitive in the last year. One year ago coverage for 50mb was $28.95 p mo. Now it's less than half that.

Sounds like a change is in order for me too.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??

Tags
knives