MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 02-10-2004, 07:33 PM
Master

visitors in workshop.

For those of you that have visitors in your workshop........forging for a day or what ever....Do you think its necessary to get a disclaimer signed to protect you from injury liabilities etc...Any stories ?

Thanks.

Kevin
Old 02-10-2004, 08:56 PM
Living Legend

I have had a lot of people visit my shop and never bothered. Then a good friend of mine who comes over a lot cut himself. It was not a problem with him but it got me thinking. If they come over to look around, I do not require anything but if they are going to play with the machines, they have to bring this signed.

http://www.warnerknives.com/release.htm

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 02-10-2004, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Two things to take note of:
1) Even a signed disclaimer will not keep a money grubbing type lawyer from suing and the attorney fees alone can kill you. It is not a bad idea - it will make the ethical types think twice about what they are doing - but do not depend on it to prevent a law suit.

2) Second if you work from home and have just a home owners policy and not a business policy than they will not cover you in most circumstances and will most likely cancel you policy as well.

The only bright side to this coin is that most of us don't make enough to bother with being sued but it can happen and does happen often enough that I do not allow "customers" into my shop. That's why most business such as garages have those "do not enter" signs posted.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:46 AM
Master

Thanks Bob and Chuck.

Bob. That waiver is interesting. Do you mind if I copy that but make changes where necessary and use it myself?

Kevin.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:30 AM
Living Legend

Not if you let me know what you change. I may want to make the same changes.

I do not expect a waiver to keep me from getting sued. I do expect it to make them think about safety.

If I ever get sued, I will refuse all visitors in the future and I will tell everyone who sued me so nobody else will help them with their knifemaking. I will tell all future visit requestors who made it impossible for them to visit my shop.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 02-11-2004, 04:48 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Warner
Not if you let me know what you change. I may want to make the same changes.

I do not expect a waiver to keep me from getting sued. I do expect it to make them think about safety.

If I ever get sued, I will refuse all visitors in the future and I will tell everyone who sued me so nobody else will help them with their knifemaking. I will tell all future visit requestors who made it impossible for them to visit my shop.
Ok....Let me go through it and maybe ask around to get some other opinions.....Any advice offered or changes and I will let you know what they are, but at least yours is a starting point for me.

On another point., what about insurance?....I dont have any for my (small!) business and our home owners dont want to know.........I would like to have some kind of insurance for my knife business....Can anyone recommend anyone?

Kevin.

Tags
forging