MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 10-13-2003, 08:39 PM

Angry Possible Scam Alert

I will pass this along for what it is worth.

I was contacted by an individual named "Peter" from New Zeland.

He wanted to buy a $1,000+ knife from me.

However, his client had already written the check out (to me) for $3,500.

After asking why he just couldn't just write another check, Peter replied "he has already written this one"???

The kicker is, after I receive the check Peter wants me to send the knife and wire transfer (note he won't wire transfer me the money) to his account the difference between the cost of the knife and what he sent.

He emailed me steadily for 5 days.

Then I asked him for the following information:

His name, address, phone number and bank information.

His clients name, address, phone number and bank information.

I explained to him that my bank required this to receive approval from his bank. The check would stay in my bank until it had completely cleared my bank and his bank.

There have been a lot of people in the US receiving bank checks from banks in Africa. You receive what you think is a bank check (turns out to be a personal check). You cash the check, send the merchandise. Two weeks later the money is removed from your account and your charged a fee for a "bounced" check. Your bank assumes no liablity for this...even though they cashed the check!

Since I have asked Peter for this additional information 4 days ago I have not heard from him.

I will give him another week. If I still don't here from him. I will post his full name and email address.

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Old 10-14-2003, 12:58 AM

Les & others,
This is a known scam technique - don't fall for it. Les is right to be supsicious. I've seen this scam several times in a national car club I'm in. Instead of knives it's been car parts, but it's the same scam. Someone responds to your online add, they over-pay, you send a wire for the difference, and then the check they gave you bounces. You're out the merchendise and the money you wired.

Tell the guy to bugger off and go work for a living like the rest of us.

-Ben
Old 11-09-2003, 03:43 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to flashinthepan Send a message via Yahoo to flashinthepan
scam ---

That's just the start..
A knive maker from Mass. I was having coffee with last summer told me that he's VERY careful who he sells to.. and to what areas of the world he ships his product to... He said that after the the knive is shipped; the check is found to be no good; you are standing there trying to figure out what's going on-- these same S.O.B.s display that very knive as if they made it themselves; on their auction sites.. People send them money orders, wire money, etc.. and get nothing in return..
I don't sell knives; usually give them to friends, etc.. but someone who's trying to make a living using their talents and sweat doesn't need this type of crap blocking they're progress..
I've made quite a few knives that are very good at skinning deer.. Wonder if they would work on these low-lives ?? One could dream !!!
Les and others; thanks for the warning, you guys and girls are what makes this all worthwhile..
Thom
Quote:
push on the chain ???
Old 11-24-2003, 11:25 AM

Jeff Mentis...Wants To Scam YOU!

I meant to post this earlier, but misplaced the information.

The person who tried to SCAM me earlier is:

Jeff Mentis from New Zeland

His email address is:

jeffmentis@yahoo.ie

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Old 12-02-2003, 12:00 AM
Enthusiast

Strange...isn't ".ie" the country code for Ireland?

Tags
knife, knives