MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 09-06-2003, 09:05 PM
Enthusiast

Location: Carlisle PA, desperately trying to get back to Wild Wonderful West (by God) Virginia
Send a message via AIM to alchemy knife
Health Insurance

This is for all of you (like me) that have no health insurance.

I have often wondered why neither of the major knife organizations didn't offer some kind of group health insurance. (I guess a majority of the members already have insurance through their spouses, or through their retirement.)

Being self-employed makes getting reasonably priced health insurance almost impossible. I have searched everywhere, but the prices have been more than I can afford. This has caused me to avoid doctor's visits for over 10 years.

I finally found an artist's group that offers an insurance policy that I can afford. (This is a "real" insurance policy instead of the ones that claim to save you 60%.) The best thing is that they cover all artisans (including knifemakers)!

The organization is called Fractured Atlas. Click here for website. The membership costs $75/yr. The bare-bones insurance is just under $75/ month. They seem to offer quite a bit more than just health insurance (grant proposal help, etc).

I don't know if this will help anyone, but I thought I'd pass it on.

Pam

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming.....WOW, what a ride!!

A wealth of information for anyone who works with metal: http://www.iforgeiron.com

Metal artist & blacksmith.

Pictures of what I do: http://www.photoworks.com/share/shareLandi...28B57&cb=PW
Old 09-07-2003, 07:08 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Thanks, Pam- health insurance is a big issue, and most of us need all the help we can get.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 09-08-2003, 06:11 PM
Hall of Famer

i will soon be leaving my "real job". both my wife and i will need something affordable in the near future.
thanx very much for the tip, pam.

Tags
knife