MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 06-30-2003, 10:10 AM
Steel Addict

How Many a Month

I know this is asking a loaded question and there are a lot of variables such as style of knife and shows and such, but for those of you that are full-timers, how many knives do you sell a month/year?

A baby's father
Some mother's son
Old 06-30-2003, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
How many?????

Over the past 10 years the average for me has been 60-70 knives sold a year. Keep in mind that I've only been a part time maker, as the Air Force has been my full time occupation. The way I look at the business of knifemaking is you can do one of two things..............sell a lot of lower priced knives.........or sell fewer knives for more money. Ideally, a mix of the two is the way to go. Higher end pieces for the collectors and those who take their tools seriously, and lower priced, less extravagent pieces for average knife user. The whole key is to create each knife to the best of your abilities. If your going to skimp on something, make it the embelishments. This brings us around to reputations..........this is the most difficult thing to build, and the eaisest to loose. That is precisely why each blade, no matter what the end cost of the product is, should be the best you can produce...........(I refer to the edge retention, toughness, durability, and ease of re-sharpening.) It also helps to be versitile in your shop. There are going to be times when knife sales are down, this is just a fact. Expand your offerings into such things as buckskinner goods, ornamental ironwork, and any other thing you can do. That way during the times when knives are not selling as quickly as you'd like, you can rely on other things as income sources.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 06-30-2003, 04:33 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
It also helps to be versitile in your shop. There are going to be times when knife sales are down, this is just a fact. Expand your offerings into such things as buckskinner goods, ornamental ironwork, and any other thing you can do.
That was going to be another question, how many people, specially full-timers offer other things. I know it has been discussed about Bob Warner going full time and he showed a photo of a blacksmith gate that was just out-of-this-world, so I know he has other things to offer.

A baby's father
Some mother's son
Old 07-17-2003, 03:14 AM
Steel Addict

very good question! Paul

Vintage knives to military monsters..and everything in between!

www.The-Distinctive-Edge.com
Old 07-17-2003, 08:44 AM
Steel Addict

Each maker would vary I reckon. Personally my work varies greatly. Some years I have made 20-25 pieces and some years I made as many as 60 but that has been awhile. I am slow. I could gear up with equipment etc to do it faster, but I like the way I do it. I choose to do more hand work than on a machine. I do know some bladesmiths that cranked out as many as 250 in a years time. Just gear up for the type of knives you want to do, then start looking for people who want to buy that type. As a full time maker remember the famous quote. "to thine ownself be true, and to the IRS".
jf

Old 07-17-2003, 10:47 AM
RIP 11-09-2011

I had to think about this one.
There is no set number each month.
I use to play the numbers game, but I lost my passion for knifemaking. I tried to crank them out, and have done hundreds in a single year, but I won't anymore. That takes the FUN out of it quickly.
Forced to produce vs. allowed to produce is a key difference.
If you set numbers as your scale of success, you may meet the numbers, but the success will elude you.

Your customer does not care how many you make, he just wants "his" to be unique. When you crank them out, you miss the individuality of each knife( or what "that" knife can become)
When you produce numbers, you forget details. The detailing is what sells the knive.

Bulk does not keep you in business,your best will.

In my experience, making the knives is the easy part, selling them is the work.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:54 AM
Steel Addict

Geno, I full understand what you're saying, I was just wonder what you full timers made a living off of. I know unless you have an assimbly-line true numbers don't really count.

A baby's father
Some mother's son
Old 07-18-2003, 04:47 PM
RIP 11-09-2011

Good question Mike,
As for me and mine, we live by faith.
We live lean and happy, a simple life filled with love and joy and hard work.
We may not have it all, but we have each other.
It is scary to live without a paycheck.
Very simply, we do what we can to stay alive.
I love what I do, and who I do it with.
Center Cross is more than a stamp to me, it is a whole way of life.
I combine everything that is precious to me,EVERY DAY!
I may not be wealthy, but I am an extremely rich man.
We all need to suppliment from time to time.
We all do it differently.
I am a welding consultant, cnc programmer, fabricator, personal assistant, and anything else I need to be.
My sweet wife works to help out.
My main income comes from knives and steel though.
To wrap it all up, at the end of the day, I thank God for providing us with what we need, and I find again today, His grace was sufficient.:cool: Be Blessed!
Old 07-18-2003, 08:27 PM
Guru

Mike,

I think Gene, Jerry and Ed pegged it right.
You could have well asked...how many in a lifetime.
Doing your best and having faith that you're following the path meant for you...
should be the first paragraph in everyones business plan.

Tim
Old 08-01-2003, 11:07 PM
Steel Addict

Gene
That was a very well put,Knives are not about money, it is about a passion,and an innner peace that come from a gift that we have been given

Mark 13:35
Old 08-02-2003, 10:01 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by N House
Gene
That was a very well put,Knives are not about money, it is about a passion,and an innner peace that come from a gift that we have been given
Well said.

Unfortunately, the passion and inner peace are not quite good enough to pay the food bill at Shopright, car payments, mortgage, electricity bill and on, and on, and on.

If you're a full timer, the question is how much $$ do you need (want) to make a year. Have you paid your dues in this business. Do you have a "name". What are your material costs. What's the average price of your knives. How many hours a day are you willing to work. How are you selling your knives.....shows, dealers, knife rag ads, internet, ect, ect.

Now, figure all this out and you'll have your answer. There is no general answer.

If you're a fulltimer, you had better stop thinking about passion and inner peace. get focused, run to your shop, and start cranking them out.

If you're part time. ponder away.....tomorrow is another day.

AL P.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:14 PM
Steel Addict

I am a newer maker and I have heard the term "Paying your Dues" would somone please tell me what that means?
:confused:

Old 08-02-2003, 07:49 PM
Guru

Quote:
"Paying your Dues" would somone please tell me what that means?

Paying your dues: To earn a position through hard work, long-term experience, or suffering.

Well...hopefully not too much suffering!

That's the "official" wording.

Once you've paid your so called "dues", you're free to either rest on your laurels,
or take it to the limit of your personal best.

Tim
Old 08-02-2003, 08:01 PM
Steel Addict

I am a new maker,but I have praticed hard before I even start to show my work,So I have paid my dues if it means working hard at somthing that I have done.A new maker can come in and do some drop dead looking work with out haveing 15 years of knife making under there belt.
I have noticed this about knife making,I will let my work do the talking,then people can deside if I have done my homework.
the term "paying your dues" will leave a bad taste in a newer knife makers mouth,It makes it sound like if you have not been in the knife making crowd for sometime that you will not become anyone,that is what I question:confused:

Old 08-02-2003, 08:25 PM
Guru

That's an excellent point.

I question that too.

Maybe its a choice between kissing butt with the peers or allowing the buying public to make the final decision.

"Paying dues" is relative to how you feel personally about your work.

My position is that its an on-going process. Its about exploring new areas.

It has nothing to do with whether or not the work is acceptable to some self-appointed governing body.

The buyer will justify you in this market.

You're right about the new maker doing "drop dead" work. Some people have a real gift to excell in the short-term.

Its called "talent".

You'll do well with your approach.

Tim

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knife making, knives