MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 06-13-2003, 12:49 PM
Steel Addict

small batch of knives sale ?

I recently put a knife on a knife auction web site ,a man contacted me wanting to know about getting a small batch of these knives to sell in south Florida the he requsted that they have micarta handles was wondering shouldd I sell them to him at regular price or should I be expected to give him a discount as I am not making a great deal of money on the knife on the auction but should this be treated like a custom order or just a normal knife sale thanks any opinions are appreciated thanks
Old 06-13-2003, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Did he ask for a dsicount? If not I'd say don't offer.

No sense in giving a price break unless asked for or if that is your normal way of doing business, especially if your pricing structure isn't set for one.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:31 PM
Steel Addict

these are the emails from the person

LOVE THE LOOK OF THAT KNIFE YOU HAVE UP ON K.A. I THINK THAT WOULD BE A GREAT LITTLE SELLER FOR ME HERE IN S. FLA.
WOULD YOU CONSIDER MAKING ME A SMALL BATCH ?? MAYBE IN MICARTA.......WOULD LIKE TO KEEP THE COST DOWN, WITHOUT COMPRIMIZING YOUR LOOK AND QUALITY. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.......... ERIC

SANTINO, THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY. I WOULD TRY A HALF DOZEN TO START.......... AND REALLY NEED A BRUSHED OR SATIN FINISH IN THIS CLIMATE. I WOULD MIX THE SHEATH CHOICE, SOME LEATHER, SOME KYDEX
I THINK SOME MICARTA, OTHER THAN BLACK, WOULD DO FINE. JUST TIRED OF BLACK ! PARTIAL PAYMENT UP FRONT IS NO SWEAT.....ERIC
Old 06-13-2003, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

From the sound of those I'd just give him a price point and see what hes says. Getting a down payment in this case is definitely a smart move.

If this works out than you may think about giving some kind of discount in the future, but it takes the same amount of work unless you are set up for production so I'd keep the setup with him as simple as possible and to where you are making enough to make it worth your while.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 06-13-2003, 03:35 PM
Steel Addict

thanks for the advice

Tags
custom, knife, knives