MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 05-15-2003, 10:28 PM
Enthusiast

This site is saving me money

I do belive that this Forum is saving me money. I am setting up a knife shop and before i buy i have been reading about it here. So I am buying the best of the best not buy junk to start out with. Today i just got in the mail a brand new kmg-1 grinder wow. If I did not know about this site im sure i would have bought a grizzly and i dont think that would have been even 1/10 the grinder. wow i could not belive how it was made when i opened the box thanks Rob. and thank you CKD Forums.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:53 AM
Master

Hi Yendor,

You did the right thing, getting a KMG to start off with, they are very well made machines with many accessories to expand your capabilities as you need them. Also, have a look at Rob's horizontal grinder as well. One other thing, you may want to get before that though, is one of his 9" disks and put it on a variable speed motor. If you are doing flat grinds, a disk is a must have tool in the shop in my opinion.

I don't know what kind of motor arrangement you intend to use, but I'd highly recommend a VFD/3 phase motor set-up.

This shows the controller and three phase motor. The great thing about a VFD is that you can run the motor in constant torque mode. They are also generally cheaper than DC drive set-ups.

Here's a picture of the KMG from the side, behind the Grizzly. This is an older image, as there is another KMG sitting where the Grizzly is shown in this picture with the same sort of VFD set-up.

And finally the horizontal grinder with the VFD set-up. I still need to build a stand to mount the controller up off of the table, so many things to do and so little time!

Here's a link to where I got my VFD/3 phase motor set-ups. I'd recommend their 2 h.p. internet special for your KMG:

http://www.dealerselectric.com/

Hope some of this helps!

-Darren

Visit the Forge Gallery - forge building resource pages
ForgeGallery.EllisCustomKnifeworks.com
Old 05-16-2003, 10:00 PM
Enthusiast

great photos Im working on getting a web sit up so i can post photos of a newbe setting up a shop using info learned from this site. soon i will have my baldor buffer and a forge also getting a mill and a lathe i do need to get the 9 inch flat grinder. but i just forgot to get it when i placed my order. It is unreal trying to buy everything you need to set up a shop all at once. I have list's. i cant even trun anything on yet cause i dont have 220 set up yet and will have to have at least 6 drops on 220 so i have to put in a sub panel breaker box and on and on and on. So much to do i bet it will take me two weeks to get to the point where i can turn on my kmg-1. have to order belts for it to. Just setting up the shop will be a job i bet it takes hundreds of hours setting up air fliters, 220, ordering parts and supplies setting up equipment. and on and on right now i dont know how im going to move some of the heavy equipment like the lathe it weighs 1200 pounds and when they drop it off they just put it on the curb. i think i will have them put it on a palet jack then use a engine lift once inside the shop. but i dont want to spend 500 on equipment to move something once so i have to go see if i can rent something to move it but to do that you have to know the day that it will deliverd. on and on plenty to make you head spin. but in the end it will be worth it im sure. \

Tags
forge, knife