MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 05-01-2003, 02:16 PM
Enthusiast

Location: Carlisle PA, desperately trying to get back to Wild Wonderful West (by God) Virginia
Send a message via AIM to alchemy knife
Talking I found liability insurance for knifemakers!!!

I have been thinking about this thread for a while. When I was selling at ren-faires, I belonged to a living history group that provided a very nice liability policy for only $100/yr. They covered me at both ren-faires, and science-fiction events (future history)

Since I am closing my storefront soon, I have been considering at least part-time blacksmithing (and maybe eventually a little knifemaking). I called the company and inquired. I explained that knifemaking is a perfect example of a continuing living history. They will cover knifemakers (and blacksmiths) at shows, even though it isn't specifically a historical event!!!!!

The group is Old West Living History Foundation. They can be contacted at:
1130 Sheridan Ave. Suite 160
Cody, Wyoming 82414
(307) 587-1872 or Fax (307) 587-1875.
http://www.oldwest.org

Essentually the insurance is 2 part.

Part 1: The policy provides a $5,000,000.00 spectator and general liability insurance policy anytime during our season that you are participating in your living history mission with NO DEDUCTIBLE. General Liability: This coverage protects your business from claims arising from alleged bodily injury, personal injury or property damage.

Part 2: SPECTATOR and GENERAL LIABILITY INSURANCE: This protects you in the event of an injury to a spectator while you are reenacting or performing your living history mission. This coverage is included with all memberships. The policy is with St. Paul Fire & Marine. The coverage has a $5,000,000.00 occurrence limit with $6,000,000.00 general aggregate. There is no deductible. They also provide personal insurance, but only at shows.

This is how they describe themselves.
Quote:
We are not an insurance company. We're a national/international organization of living history enthusiasts & participants who celebrate the spirit & legends of the 1800?s American Frontier. We are men, women, children, merchants, craftspeople, reenactors, actors, film makers & event producers. We participate in private & public functions, parades, Living History events, Old West theme parks, wild west stunt shows, stunt schools, Rendezvous, Pow Wows, Wagon Trains, large reenactment groups & military unit activities, stunt shows, commercials, TV shows, films & major motion pictures. We are an inclusive organization & we welcome all who are interested in Living History. We work to increase awareness in safety, our historical heritage, the authenticity of our time period, wardrobe & historical presentations. We do this by setting good examples and providing education through the promotion of events, fellowship and publications. ...We are not an insurance company. ... We are men, women, children, merchants, craftspeople, reenactors, actors, film makers & event producers. We participate in private & public functions, parades, Living History events, Old West theme parks, wild west stunt shows, stunt schools, Rendezvous, Pow Wows, Wagon Trains, large reenactment groups & military unit activities, stunt shows, commercials, TV shows, films & major motion pictures. We are an inclusive organization & we welcome all who are interested in Living History. We work to increase awareness in safety, our historical heritage, .... We do this by setting good examples and providing education through the promotion of events, fellowship and publications. ...The O.W.L.H.F. is dedicated to providing logistical & interpretive support, plus comprehensive reenactors liability insurance for the living history reenactors and SPECIAL EVENTS. Our members are covered by two insurance plans. Our aim is to promote goodwill, hospitality, education, safety, information, theatrical arts, exhibits, competitions, interpretive and cultural events.

I hope this helps,

Pam

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming.....WOW, what a ride!!

A wealth of information for anyone who works with metal: http://www.iforgeiron.com

Metal artist & blacksmith.

Pictures of what I do: http://www.photoworks.com/share/shareLandi...28B57&cb=PW
Old 05-01-2003, 02:36 PM
Guru

Thumbs up

Well done Pam!...:cool:

Sounds like an interesting group.
Just what I've been looking for.
Thanks again!

Tim
Old 05-01-2003, 07:29 PM
Hall of Famer