MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 04-21-2003, 07:53 PM
Guru

Favorite part of knife making

What part of knife making do you like the best, such as forging, grinding, fitting handles & etc. Also what do you like the least?
I have wondered about this for a long time and thought that it would be a interesting thread. Let's see where it goes.
I'll start by saying that the hands down favorite activity is the final forming & finishing of the handle and guard & forging the blade.
The least favorite is doing a mirror polish.
Gib

Old 04-21-2003, 08:05 PM
Steel Addict

My favorite part is forging. Even if I have had to do it with a rosebud on a torch. Finally made a small forge, now to find time to use it, working 70 hrs. a week. And reading all the helpful things on these forums. The forums have helped me get this far. Be lost and wayyyyy behind where I am now if not for them.

Least favorite is what I'm worst at - fit & finish. And I try SO hard!

Charlie
Old 04-21-2003, 08:09 PM
Steel Addict

Well, I'd have to say exactly the same thing you did, Gib. I love the forging of the blade and the final fit of the handle and bolsters/guard. I guess that's when the knife finally takes its shape and you can really see what it's like. I don't mind doing a hand-rubbed finish (I've never done a mirror finish) as long as there's something interesting on the radio I really don't like grinding.

Josh
Old 04-21-2003, 09:06 PM
Master

I like this thread.

My favorite part (after forging the blade) is when I remove the last piece of masking tape on my blade which has been wrapped since I fitted the guard and handle to stop it getting damaged...Its the first time I get to see my knife completed.....I always get pretty excited, its a bit like unwrapping presents.

My least favorite has to be drilling, filing and slotting the guards

Kevin.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:12 PM

My favourite seems to change depending on my moods, sometimes its the grinding others it sitting for hours handsanding to 2000 grit to get that perfect mirror finish about the only parts I don't ever seem to like is making the mosaic pins and getting that one tiny little scratch out from the back side of the bolster.
Steve

Old 04-21-2003, 09:21 PM

Charlie and Steve, welcome to the forum. Glad to have you drop in on us. Hope y'all won't be strangers.

I enjoy forging the most. After that, I like it when it has all come together and IS a finished knife. Least favorite knifemaking activity--guards.

Old 04-21-2003, 09:29 PM
Steel Addict

I love forging, but it is demanding work. It's great though when that blade really starts to take shape the way you want it in the forge. The only grinding I like is profiling, the shape of the knife will really pop out at you. What I love is getting lost in draw filing blades, and I really like filing handles to shape too! Knifemaking is such a holistic experience it's hard to put a finger on a favorite part. That may change when I've made hundreds of knives rather than a mere handful. I used to hate drilling but now that I've learned that there is something of an art to drilling it's more interesting too.

Old 04-21-2003, 11:48 PM
Hall of Famer

Finding out some old fart made a hawk out of my favorite hammer.

Forging by far is the most liked. I struggle with everything after that. I go threw stages that I just can't finish a knife or a hawk. I'll start putting one together and get another idea and light up the forge. Sheaths always get put on the back burner but I try not to get to far behind anymore.

Old 04-21-2003, 11:55 PM
Hall of Famer

The forging part.

Gene Chapman
Oak and Iron Publishing
www.oakandiron.com/
Old 04-22-2003, 05:13 AM
Guru

Seeing someones face when they get one of the knives (whether they bought or I give it to them). Then I know my design and stlye came together along with all the other aspects of the craft. As far as the least part, it would be the waiting to get it done ... Bud
Old 04-22-2003, 05:19 AM
Skilled

Love forging, Hate guard fitting

Mark
Old 04-22-2003, 07:50 AM
Skilled

Like most of you guys, I love the forging part. Oh, sometimes I have to force myself to get out there and start a fire and get with it. But it's usually the coal busting that I hate. Sometimes it takes half an hour of sitting there on my knees with my little coal hammer to bust up a 5 gallon bucket full. I really dislike that part but a bucket of coal will usually last me all week so I don't have to do it very often. And my coal is in big 50 and 100 pound chunks so it's always a chore.

I don't hate the guard fitting, but it's not my favorite part either. My very most favorite part of knifemaking is sitting there in my easy chair after I get the knife and sheath finished, sharpening and admiring my work. Sometimes I'll find a little flaw here or there that I have to go out to the shop and fix so it's not only theraputic but quality control inspecting. Then I'll sit there while watching a movie and absent mindedly hold the knife and put it in the sheath and take it out again. And then I'll remember that I forgot to oil the inside of the sheath and the knife so I'll get the ballistol and oil everything up. And last but not least I'll take a few pics of it to save to my hard drive and email to the new owner to tease them a little. He he. That's the fun part for me. Packing and shipping is always fun too. When you break it down, there's alot to like abuot knifemaking isn't there?
Old 04-22-2003, 08:27 AM
Guru

I like forging and filing best. Sharpening comes in a close third.

For me, the greates challenge (I like to think of it in positive terms) is the fit and finish of the completed piece. Since I don't pre-draw everything, or forge to very specific dimensions, every knife is kinda free-form. That means that everything is custom-made for every other part. Takes a lot of time, but I don't know how, in forging the way I do, I could ever reproduce something I've made before. Each piece of steel is recycled something-else first, so I don't even have the commonality of bar stock to work from.

Makes for a time-consuming process, but I like seeing each one come out different, and unique, and looking good. Obviously, I still have a ways to go.

Hammer on!
Old 04-22-2003, 09:39 AM
Hall of Famer

My fvorite part is showing somebody how "sharp the blade is.

Swish, cut, flutter, plunk

Old 04-22-2003, 09:53 AM
Skilled

my favorite part is when I'm doi' the final sharpening and strop. It means it all came together.
hey Max, i used to crush coal that way til I came up with somethng a little easier. Took a piece of 9 inch pipe about a foot long, stood it up on a stee plate. drop a chunk in and mash with the flat end of the post hole bar. can crush enough for a days forgin' in about 10 minutes. Gives the knees a break.

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives