MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 04-11-2003, 07:48 AM
Enthusiast

thanks Les

Les, I've been reading over some of your posts.....thanks for the time that you dedicate to helping folks wade through the stuff out there in our knife trade. I personally appreciate your honesty and integrity and admire your insights. Thanks for helping us better understand each other. I was in the shop til late last night.....filling my eyes, ears and nose with pearl, giraffe shin bone and metal and abrasive dust. The time that I do get to spend at my keyboard is usually spent ordering supplies or communicating with customers.....and I'd rather be polishing scratches ! Thanks from another maker. Best personal regards, even though you were in the US Army ! Semper fi ! Tim Britton
Old 04-28-2003, 09:12 AM

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your compliments. When I got into this almost 20 years ago. I was fortunate to run into a dealer by the name of Paul Basch.

I was amazed at the amount of time he took explaining to me different aspects of collecting custom knives. Aspects I never considered.

Such as, a makers position in their market. The demand for their knives in the aftermarket. The premiums that these knives can command. The classes continued for many years.

Every year I stand behind my table at the Blade Show and think about my first knife show....The Blade Show 1985. I remember not having a clue as to what I was doing...and my purchases showed that.

Today there are probably 3 times as many makers. I wonder how new custom knife buyers figure out which knives to buy.

Custom knives has given me many of my best friends and best times.

So I am just trying to give something back.

I do appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to write such a nice post.

Being that you are a former Marine, I tired to keep this simple and use a lot of small words. Additionally, the next I see you, when we speak I will do so much slower.

See you in Atlanta!

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Old 04-28-2003, 09:35 AM
Enthusiast

thanks Les....all I can say is "Semper Fi" and remember that the Marines (as usual) cleared the tuff areas in Iraq and then the Army came RIDING into town on their vehicles to comfort the ladies and drink and chase their camels ! One last thought re knives and what to buy.....my best advice has always been to buy what you like with consult from folks like you. I would also like it to be known that I wasn't at your first BLADE show nor did you buy any "gems" from me. I'm not that old and all that ugly stuff that you bought was from other makers ! You gotta come see my fancy Terminator in Atlanta.....pearl, engraved with gold inlay. Look out Buster, here comes Britton ! Semper fi ! Tim
Old 04-28-2003, 01:32 PM
Steel Addict

Ooorah!
Old 04-28-2003, 03:02 PM

Danbo,

Please don't talk with your mouth full.

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Old 04-29-2003, 07:05 AM
Steel Addict

Old 04-29-2003, 07:31 AM
Enthusiast

I wanna know how I can get funky pictures in the margin of my posts ! Cheers ! Tim Britton

Tags
blade, knife, knives