MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 03-29-2003, 04:51 PM

getting my knives to shows I don't attend?

Is there an established way to get knives to shows that I don't attend. Geographically and matrimonially I will not be able to attend any of the big shows in the States or even any of the smaller shows ( Wolverine show being the exception) so is there some method to get others to allow you to use part of their table or are there consignment tables available at the bigger shows?
Thanks
Steve

Old 03-29-2003, 07:49 PM
Guru

Steve,

I wish Les Robertson was here to field your question, but until then, I'll give you my take on it.

The best way is to team up with a knife dealer(s) that market the style of knife you make. I'd do a little shopping and see what knives each dealer showcases.
Approach them with some samples of your work. The arrangement you make is up to you. The important thing to remember is that an agressive, (ie; full-time), dealer will do approx. 30+ shows in a years time. What would that cost you in travel, expenses and time away from the shop?
So, discounting your work a bit for multiple pieces doesn't seem as harsh. Consider it as part of your advertising program.
A well meaning buddy may volunteer to table-share your work with his, but I feel that you're placing a big responsibility on his shoulders should one of your pieces end up missing due to theft. Would you accept the same responsibility for someone else?
Quality purveyors have a client/customer reputation to maintain.
They're also attentive to what's going on around their tables and are better at engaging the curious public.
The custom knife market wouldn't be where it is today, were it not for dealers promoting makers work to an evolving community of collectors.
So, regard dealers as one tool in your arsenal for getting your work and name out there to the buyers.

Tim
Old 03-29-2003, 10:51 PM
Steel Addict

What Tim said.
jf

Old 03-30-2003, 10:29 AM

Thanks Tim
Now, how do I catch the attention of one of those dealers. I have no problem with discounting for volume but since I am severely limited as to the shows I can get to I am not sure how to establish a relationship with a dealer.
Thanks
Steve

Old 03-30-2003, 01:52 PM
Guru

Steve,

That's the difficult question. Considering your situation, the best option would be to call them personally or contact them via e-mail. You stated at one point that you attend the Michigan show. That's a good way to approach a U.S. dealer one-to-one.
When you're "to-the-point" with a dealer/rep about your goals and expectations, I really don't see any problems developing a business relationship.
If you're concentrating on Michigan as your primary focus for now, there's 22 gun shows between now and the years end. I know several makers that do extremely well at gun shows.
Go to, www.migunshows.com

If I were in your position, I'd review my long-term goals within the context of my business plan. I'd have to make provisions for more public exposure via trade shows. That means travel, expenses, show fees, etc. I would also plan a methodical approach towards getting published. It comes down to setting a realistic budget and time frame.
The old saying, "you can't get the job without the union card, and you can't get the card without the job", unfortunately applies to promoting one's work. The up-side is that with a well thought out plan, you can realize those goals sooner than you think.

Most important...
...The word that I'd want to get out to the dealers and public is that I'm establishing myself as a full-time maker and I'm here to stay within the custom knife industry.

Hope this helps with planning your strategy.
Tim

Tags
knife, knives