MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 01-22-2003, 03:15 PM
jvanhooser

Marketing Identity

Do any of you feel there is an advantage or disadvantage to marketing your product under your name vs. a created brand name?

I know this seems obscure, but I'm trying to plan as thoughtfully as I can.

Thanks.

JimVH
Old 01-22-2003, 03:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Well,

I can tell you why I went with my name as opposed to a company or business name. I want my knives to be understood as very personal creations made by hand.

If I went with "Weyland's Smithy," or something like that ( I originally considered some names that conveyed history / myth etc... ) then people might think I ran some kind of production shop... or might not connect the forge name to me personally when they met me. I want my work to have an historical feel to it... even the pieces that are very modern I want to have a timeless feel... so my compromise was a symbol for my stamp, but my name for the business.

In the end I want people to say "Oh, I have a Jon Loose knife," when they are introduced to me or see my name in a magazine... not "Oh, Hey Jon Loose, check out this cool knife from Weyland's Smithy!"

But I would like to hear from those folks who are on the other side of this issue... what are the advantages to your decision?

jloose.com

Old 01-22-2003, 03:54 PM
Living Legend

I like my name associated with my kinves. I agree with Jon on this, however there are reasons to not use your name and I am trying to walk the fence on them.

Since I do things other than knifemaking I need a business name. I have named my business SERVICE USA. Warner Knives is a division or product, of SERVICE USA. That way the knives are recognized as being made by me and the items made by SERVICE USA are known as SERVICE USA products.

I've always been told that if your business name is your name, you cannot seperate yourself from the company in the event of legal problems. Even incorporating the business is an act of making the business it's own "person" and therefore responsible for itself. However I was told that by using your name, you are verifying that the company is not really a seperate entity.

Maybe someone else knows more about this but it is an interesting balancing act.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 01-22-2003, 04:25 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to MPMetal
in a way I did both my Comp name is MP Metalworks LLC
I sign all of my work MP (my name is Matthew Parkinson)
I like the Idea that when I have apprentices (I have had a few in the past) I can allow then to sell there work in my booth at faire with there mark bellow mine (so that it is know that I didn't make the knife but it came from my shop)
MP
Old 01-24-2003, 11:30 AM
jvanhooser

Hey Guys,

All good points? thanks for your insight.

Tags
forge, knife, knives