MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 01-15-2003, 11:13 PM
Master

Coloring in Folders

Mr. Robertson Is the use of color in folders getting stronger or do you see ,at this time, a return to the more classic thing of letting materials stand in their natural finished state? Thank you for your reply. Frank Niro.

Old 01-24-2003, 08:47 AM

Hi Frank,

Colors come and go. Ive been hearing for 8 years how tactical knives are so ugly and eventually people will stop buying them. Obviously, those who make these claims no nothing about the current custom knife market.

There are always 10- 20 % who are looking for something different. For many it is a different handle material...like Giraffe Bone. By the way....thats over. So sell them now before the "nice" Stag starts showing up again this year.

One trend I do see on the rise is the use of wood and a nicer finish on folders.

This of course will negate the use of S30V since most makers can't finish past a 400 grit finish. Some can't even get to that point. Look for the term "Machine or Working" Satin Finish to come into vogue.

Timascus was seeing alot of use among makers (who got their initial sample for free). Now that the makers have to pay for it. Many find it hard to justify about twice the cost of well made Damascus. From what I understand the price is coming down on Timascus. If they can make it more competitive (cost wise) as regular Damascus I would look for an increase in use.

I have always held that makers should become as versatile as possible. Learn how to work as many materials as possible.

However when you are putting together you prodcut display for a show, be realistic about the market. If 10 - 20% are interested in new designs or materials or coloring. Don't make that 80% of your table display.

After all you can always take orders.

So Frank, a short answer to your question is, yes. There is more color starting to show up in custom knives.

If I was a maker would I put a knife with some color on my table...yes. Would I create an entire line....no.

If this didn't address your question, let me know and I'll try to do a better job next time.

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Old 01-24-2003, 11:57 AM
Master

Les, your reply is much appreciated and contained much helpful information for more than the color question. Thanks. Frank

Old 01-25-2003, 09:13 AM
Master

Les, you peaked my interest with that comment about "nice" Stag showing up. Does this mean that there will be a supply of Sambar Stag in the coming year?

Old 01-25-2003, 02:46 PM
Steel Addict

Yeah Les, what Keith said...what's happening with Stag? Has the Ban been lifted?
Old 01-25-2003, 03:57 PM

Hi Keith and Phil,

No the ban has not been lifted.

At this point I am taking care of providing the makers I work with (and subsquently our clients) with a much better quality of Stag.

Can't really give out any details right now. However, you can expect by this summer to see good looking Stag again.

It won't be $25 a set like several years ago. But it will be competively priced.

So you might want to hold up on the "blue" Giraffe bone.

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Old 01-25-2003, 07:08 PM
Founding Member *SysAdmin*

mmm...stag....

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

"Kind-hearted people might think there was some ingenious way to disarm or defeat an enemy without too much blood. This is a fallacy." - Carl von Clausewitz
Old 01-26-2003, 07:07 PM
Master

That is really good news. Stag is by far my favorite handle material and it would be great to see stag become available again.

Tags
knife, knives