MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 01-03-2003, 10:43 AM
Living Legend

FREE busines help, in YOUR area.

OK guys,

Here is a place I have been working with for a while. Although I am still working on setting up everything the way I need it to be, these people have assisted me a lot and it is all free. I worked with one guy for over a year on a patent idea and he assisted me in getting things done I could not do alone.

The Service Corp Of Retired Executives is a FREE resource to you. The councellors that assist you here are retired people that have expertise in various areas of business. They will councel you in person or by e-mail for FREE. It is sponsored by the Small Business Association and therefore totally FREE to you. When you get past your current area of concern, they pass you on to the next expert you need.

If you need startup money, these people can help you find it for good rates. They will help you write business plans, etc....

http://www.score.org/ go here to check it out.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 01-11-2003, 11:44 AM

Hi Bob,

Don't forget the SBA (Small Business Association).

Your local Chamber of Commerce and Better Business Bureau.

Also, lots of "how to" books out there.

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Old 01-11-2003, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the information guys. Very timely topic for me. Really great idea for a forum!

Visit My Website
mclurkincustomknives.com

Old 01-11-2003, 04:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
I have worked with both a local economic development corporation and the Small Business Administration. I actually got an SBA loan although they delayed it for four months and totally screwed the very business plan I had proposed to them. SCORE had little in the way of help to offer because retired executives usually don't have any idea what self-employment, especially in the Craft world is all about.

In fact, I found that the business world in general has a hard time understanding the business of knives. Something about integrity, I think... by which I mean they often see it as a detrimental quality.

I was told: "If you aren't in business to make money you shouldn't be in business." Call me nuts but I think the attitude that profit alone is the measure of business sucks! Can you say "Widget"?

They did help me with stuff like taxes and the esoterics of accounting practices.

Anyway... hope other folks find their local resources more helpful!

jloose.com

Tags
forge, knives