MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > The Supply Center

The Supply Center What's Hot ... and where the deals are! Supplies are our specialty ...

Old 12-24-2000, 05:13 PM
boybacon

Used grinder?

Hello, All.

I'm looking for a used grinder, if you've got one. I've got about $250, and I'm looking for a 2" x 72" grinder.

Or, if you prefer, I've got a knife to trade. I'd hate to part with it, though, it's a Keith Kilby (Foxwood Forge) bowie. 8.5" blade, high carbon steel, journyman smith stamp. tang is tapered, differentially tempered, and has tiger maple scales. Comes with original (I think) sheath. Value is around $500 (probably more). Let me know.

=+Eric
Old 12-24-2000, 08:20 PM
BCB27

boybacon,

Used grinders are next to impossible to come by. I would suggest checking ebay as some occasionally come up. Expect a good used grinder to sell for 50-75% of the original price.

Brett
Old 12-26-2000, 10:31 PM
thrjejiv

Used grinder

Eric,
You might consider building one. There are plans all over the internet and you can be creative. If you're good at welding I would really recomend you build one because there usually isn't much to one. Of course I haven't gotten aroudn to building one yet but I will. In the mean time there's nothing wrong with using a 6" x 36" sander for my needs.

Reuben
Old 12-27-2000, 04:04 PM
BCB27

Re: Used grinder

Eric,

If you are interested in building your own grinder, check out these sites:

www.mstarling.com/The_Cra...inder.html
www.wolf-borger-messer.de...htm#scharf
www.contactrubber.com/wheel.htm
www.geocities.com/beaumon...index.html

Brett

Old 12-28-2000, 05:59 PM
boybacon

Making A Grinder

Thanks for the links. It doesn't look too difficult. I'm not a welder, though. Good news is that I work with a bunch of guys (and ladies!) who weld (bicycle frames).

I'll probably make it over a longer period of time (as my wife and I just had a baby), so I'll buy it piece by piece. Probably a 10" grinding wheel, eh? That seems to be what people prefer. What about a drive wheel? I plan on buying the motor from Grizzly (for cost considerations). Any other sources?

Thanks.

-_Eric
Old 12-30-2000, 07:11 PM
thrjejiv

Re: Making A Grinder

Eric,
A 10" grinding wheel sounds like a good number for hollow grinds and for shaping wooden handles but don't forget to befriend a local machine shop and beg/boorw/bribe for a piece of steel which has been machined flat to use as a platen! I would recomend you look at a lot of pictures of popular grinding wheels like the Bader etc and copy some of the design points they use. You might also want to consider using a gear reduction to get more power to the belt in case you're using a motor that's less than 5 Hp ...

On the pottery wheel I made I used a 1/8 hp motor with a rheostat to slow it down to about 100 rpm's. I put a 2" pulley on the motor shaft and a 12" diameter pulley on my wheel head. The end result is that the wheel spins no matter how hard you try to stop it! I always recomend that.
It always helps to find a local machine shop and befriend some of the workers. I always recomend a case of beer in exchange for any jobs you might need done. It makes things niiiiice.

Reuben

Tags
blade, forge, knife