MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 01-12-2005, 08:43 PM
Skilled

For me at least the internet has been a God send in terms of sales. I sell 99% of my knives through the internet which consists of sales through my website and the forums. I live in a small town of 1100 people and have sold very few knives locally. For me at least a good website and hitting the forums has been key to making sales.

I am still part time but am thinking of moving to full time. To make this a reality I have also been advertising in magazines and will also be hitting a couple of the bigger shows this year. I sincerey hope it pays off, we'll see.

Sean

Knifemaker's Guild - Voting Member
Custom Knife Collectors Association

Homepage: www.oharecustomknives.com
Email: sean@oharecustomknives.com
Old 01-14-2005, 02:41 PM

Hi Gib,

Have you tried consiging a knife to Custom Knife Consignment? Judging by our sales over the last few months it would appear that customers have finally found our site.

Check it out at www.customknifeconsignment.com

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Old 01-14-2005, 07:20 PM
Guru

I might just do that. Email me the details. Gib

Old 02-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Enthusiast

Question Is making knives therapeutic?

I know the marketing end of the business can stink, but it seems that most would say... we would make knives regardless. I guess we just have that blade-apeutic gene. I don't know about you but after I make a knife, I can't hardly part with it. They're each special. The only better thing, as others have said, is seeing their owners face lite up and knowing they will be enjoying it. I don't make a lot of blades (part-time maker) but it seems to me the marketing possibilities for blades are endless. Gib's have got to be a number one hot item at any Mt. Man's Rundavue, re-in-actment/renaissance groups and fairs, Indian related groups, chuck wagon groups to truck stops; everyone I know is always interested in buying another one... if the price is affordable. And it doesn't stop me from going up to a Mall on a trip, right into the knife shop and ask them if they want to carry a custom of yours. (I sold many on consignment and even got blank blade orders this way.) It may not be a living, but gentlemen, THIS IS FUN! (Well, at least some times.) And it get's you out of the house.

The key to marketing is...get out there! Ask! Like the next time your Dentist says, "That crown will be $600. You say, "Have you considered trading your services for one of these babies?" Hey, my Dentist own's the "Crock" knife posted on my site. And he is forever thankful! Last time I went to a Bible study, I shamelessly told the guys, "Have you seen the knives I make?" and produced one. (I'm pretty sure that I will sell at least 3... even if I have to give them a church discount. Anyway, if they don't sell... your relatives will all know what they're getting for Christmas.
My Site

Last edited by peregrine; 02-09-2005 at 01:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-09-2005, 01:24 PM
Skilled

Send a message via ICQ to sjaqua
Lets see a copule of points here.

hammerdownnow,
Yeah setting up the forge at events (I think I'm slated to do the Poppy Festival in Lancaster, CA next) sure draws them in. But I haven't noticed that I sell any more when I am in demo mode, then I would otherwise.

peregrine,
Is knife making good for a body/soul. You bet! I was stressing big time over my real job, until I took some time to get back out in the shop. I'm not any less crazy at the office, but I sure am a lot more relaxed when I hit the sack at night.

As for selling in general. I haven't move a single piece on my web site. I do all my sales in person at events. Sometime from my talbel. Other times walking around and showing a new toy off to any that will take the time to look.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The most important right of all, is that of Free Speech. With out that, all your other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend until death, your right to say it!

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knife making, knives