MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 08-16-2004, 10:32 PM
Skilled

Send a message via MSN to chrisinbeav Send a message via Yahoo to chrisinbeav
Question How can you tell if it is time to start openly selling?

I have only been making knives for about 6-7 months now. Every knife I have made has been sold with the exception of two that I won't sell. One being my very first knife and the other a screw up. My knives have been selling for anywhere between $40.00 for a very basic fillet knife to $150.00 for a very nice bowie. Is there anyway to judge on weather or not you should openly start selling knives to the general public? As of right now all my knives have been bought by co-workers. I am planning on brining some to the knife show up in Spokane in October. That should help me get a better understanding of how the general public views my knives. I'm a little scared about openly selling knives just due to the short amount of time that I have been making knives. I almost feel like I'm not worthy yet of selling them unless I have been at it for a few years. Let me know what you guys think. I'm curious...

Chris

Here's some samples of my work...
http://community.webshots.com/album/170468629cprMLK
Old 08-16-2004, 11:24 PM
Steel Addict

When are you ready?

Your the best judge of when your ready. Since you are thinking about it,I bet your ready now. Good luck!!
I'm at a similar stage and I started selling my knives on ebay a month ago. I do not receive high prices but I've sold every knife I've listed and I've received good feedback. Most important to me is that my knives are being bought and appreciated by others. For me that is a good start, my knives are getting out there and hopefully they will develop some interest so the prices I receive will increase. I'm doing my first local show this week and hope to get some feedback on my knives firsthand.

Tags
knife, knives