MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 07-15-2004, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Selling your Craft: What makes it all worth while

First off this post is NOT to toot my own horn, but rather it is to share with my fellow makers and maybe even more important to give just a small over view for those of you who are thinking about making the step into this work full-time what it's all about - at least what it is all about for my wife and I......
After working on various projects today, including a web site for a fellow maker and along with doing the daily chores, going to town for groceries and the mail, I got to thinking on the drive home about an email we received yesterday. After mulling things over I thought I'd share this with those of you who like us sell their craft(s) for a full time living (sole source of income in our case) and for those who wonder/dream about doing the same
- the following is what makes the long hours, no health insurance, doing our own books, not getting work done on time due to healh problems, troubles with supplies and suppliers, getting something ALMOST done and then screwing it up....., and all the rest of the hassles of being a small business owner, worthwhile:
This first note is the one we just received - the one that set off this train of thought, but I figured a few others were necessary as well. Included are images of the items that the new owner is talking about.

"Dear Chuck, I got my rig today. It is spectacular! It was well worth the wait. thank you very much. I'm stunned! Thanks again . KM"

"Howdy Chuck, The package arrived yesterday right on schedule - actually I couldn't wait to see it, so I hunted the UPS guy down and waylayed him before I went to work. Amigo, your a man of your word and that means a lot in my book. Outstanding job - it's exactly what I had in mind. Your a craftsman of the first order. I will be wearing it at End Of Trail and will be telling em who made it. Thanks again. A

"Wow wow wow!
First off they are just amazing all by themselves. There's just so much depth to all of the different pieces that I'll still be finding new things about them years from now.
But on top of that they have this ... quality to them that I've seen in only a couple of pieces. When I first was looking at them they evoked this entirely different tradition in the way that only one or two swords have really spoken to me. Specifically a Kevin Cashen migration era Viking leaf-blade sword and a Don Fogg katana. In all three cases they distill a unique martial culture. "OH, I see" is my reaction. I've shown #5 and #6 to several people here at my office, and talked to them about it. A universal reaction has been along the lines of "that is so cool, it makes complete sense, so THAT's what it was like, and why have I never seen one of these before?" I'm struck by how much more familiar the martial culture of Japan or the Vikings is to myself and others than the North American tradition. Anyhow, I'm babbling. Just super cool on multiple levels. Thanks! G"

"Chuck,
They arrived!! Just at the usual time UPS gets here for us. (Along with the last and "lost" package I had been waiting for!) And they are wonderful!!
Thank you so much for the wonderful job you did, AND the extra special effort you made in getting this for me in time for Christmas. It truly means a lot, and is a big boost after having such a big downer with the broken neck and all. They are going to look absolutely fantastic with my SASS outfit!! Just perfect! Once I get out of this neck collar and leg cast and get all dressed up, I'll send you a picture of "Jessie Blue", Calamity Jane's better! :d ) Maybe I'll be well enough to do one horseback! And, from my family and I to yours; May you and your family have a most Wonderful Christmas, and a very safe, happy, HEALTHY, and prosperous New Year!!! Thanks again, LW"

Thankfully there are many more notes in this vein, and just as thankfully very few in the opposite vein, although even those can be important in their own way as a learning tool. Yep we don't have to punch a time clock and all the rest of the hassles of working for "the man", but those few words sum up what really keeps us going - that feeling of joy, of wonder, of sometimes even awe that our work can bring into another persons life. We were given the gift, but it is up to us to use it and most of all to share it....

Hopefully this will set off a spark in some one some where to follow their muses and also to remind us all of the joy of life when we do what we want/need to do......
Humbly yours -
Chuck & Linda

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.

Last edited by Chuck Burrows; 07-15-2004 at 10:57 PM.

Tags
blade, knife