MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 11-10-2003, 08:14 AM
Enthusiast

logo

hello, i'm in my second season of making pocket folders, and still trying to get prepared to sell my product . only recently have i reached my own standard for a quality knife. i do still need a lot of practice , however i have been wondering will i need to get my name and logos copyrighted? also, what about a design patent for something i think is unique. i've heard all the usual stories about 'the poor mans patent' and such. like, 'if i have made and sold my knives with my marks on them, the reciepts will be proof enough'. OR, 'make copies of the designs, take photos, date the material and mail it to yourself in registered mail, don't open it just store it in a safe place untill needed to prove ownership. i have also heard that a true patent, and / or copyrights are very difficult and costly to obtain and maintain. OR, should i even be concerned at this point? i am rather fond of my logo design and would hate having to change it as a result of not securing it. THANKS, WALKER
Old 11-10-2003, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Walker-

There is a difference between copyrighting and trademarking something.

Copyrighting something is fairly simply - basically when you "publish" (written copy, on the internet, photo it, etc) something and added a copyright notice - Copyright 2003 by....., used the copyright symbol with date - you have copyrighted it. At least that's what I have come to understand from my research.

Federal trademarking on the other hand is much like getting a patent - you must submit it to the proper authorities, do a search, etc. But this is the only way you can definitely be assured that your logo is yours. Be aware that some states offer trademarking of a name or logo, but that only protects you within that state

Copyrighting "unique" knife designs is a whole nother kettle of fish and PROBABLY is not worth the money or expense as just about every permutation of blade design has been produced by somebody. A "new" folder lock design may have a better chance but even then the chances are probably slim that it is patentable so the cost is a definite factor.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:44 AM
Enthusiast

I much prefer a maker's name on their products. Your name on a product lives forever, a logo will be without meaning to someone who didn't buy it from you. The same for company names that don't include the owner. That's my experience anyway from owning a wholesale manufacturing business.

If you are serious about trademarks, copyrights or patents, be sure to seek a lawyers advice before trying to walk over this body of water.

Tags
blade, knife, knives