MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:54 PM
Steel Addict

So I got a couple cobalt screw machine bits in today and had about 3 minutes to try them. My knife ate them alive. Is there any hope of getting a hole in my hardened knife? Don't want to spend the $ on carbide as I'm pretty sure my press wobbles enough it will snap the bit
Old 11-24-2016, 06:02 PM
Guru

CARBIDE is the only thing that will get through it trust be tried a lot of things, best is to order them off MSC or knife supply, I sugest getting the ones that are carbide tiped the solid carbide break very easy with only a lil bit of pressure the wrong way....I usually order mine from MSC but in a pinch I have found the 2 links below to work they just don't last as long. the key with carbide bits is to check your drill press and slow the speed either by the belyt and pulley or a variable speed either way you want it to be as slow as possible and I use 3 in 1 oil start the hole put oil on drill for a couple seconds stop more oil drill for a couple more secs stop oil and repeat no oil or to fast the bits will go very very quickly....oh also one of the links says they are hammer bits but like I said I have used them ina pinch in a drill press no proble they don't last as long as what you can order from msc tho
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-3-1...405T/100634573

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-Gla...2000/202242753
Old 11-24-2016, 06:35 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Use what you can get but the correct drill to use is called a 'straight flute carbide drill' from MSC. These are generally tough enough to handle a half dozen or so hardened handles (assuming you make that mistake that many times) ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-24-2016, 06:53 PM
Steel Addict

I'll look into the bits at msc. Do you know what the best angle is? They have a few others than 135?
Old 11-25-2016, 11:21 AM
Steel Addict

I see some 1/8" masonry bits that are carbide tipped. Anyone think these would be worth trying?
Old 11-25-2016, 11:43 AM

They can be used. They will not make a precise sized hole and they may wander a bit but they should make a hole. As I said earlier, the best tool for the job is a straight flute carbide drill. They drill precise clean holes in the hardest of steel but they aren't cheap and you won't find them in a hardware store ...

Old 11-25-2016, 12:17 PM
Steel Addict

Ok thanks Ray. I am going to give them a try since MSC and Grainger are closed until Monday. I already have the hole started a little so hopefully that will cut down on the wandering.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:39 PM
Guru

those masonary bits your talking about are the same thing as the links I put above the ones that I said will work in a pinch, ordering is better but I tried those masonary carbide tiped bits when I didn't have any others and I can get them at home depot so again the work in a pinch ray is right the hole isn't precise but for handle pins it works also to prevent wandering just hit the spot with a punch to get them to stick
Old 11-26-2016, 07:03 PM
Steel Addict

The masonry bits worked better than anything I've used so far as far as making a hole in the metal. It's just my drill press seems to flex a little bit somewhere if I really bear Down On It which was needed to get the masonry bit to cut. It cause my hole to be wobbled out and a little bit oblong.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:04 PM

Yup, that's how they work all righty but you know what to do about that for the future if you want cleaner holes ...

Old 11-26-2016, 09:22 PM
Skilled

"MASONRY"....... the tip geometry is designed for boring through stone, NOT slicing through metal. if it makes it through, itll try to displace more metal than it curs. that and if youre using a dull used bit..... forget about getting through metal cleanly. just wait till you can order the proper carbide bit for cutting into metal.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:02 PM
Steel Addict

Damage has already been done. From now on I'll use cobalt like I have been and not make the mistake of heat treating before drilling again.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:14 PM
Skilled

or order next size larger pins, and bits, to make it look like you did it all on purpose. if it looks good in the finish, no one needs to know there was even an oops (so long as its not a structural quality oops.... those are a different story)

mosaic pins look great.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:37 AM
Steel Addict

I have been looking at the Mosaic pins and they are really nice looking!
Old 11-27-2016, 06:41 PM
Guru

Grainger carries carbide drill bits as well as MSC by the way. I have some and remember for stainless to slow the drill speed down. As Damon said, don't use masonry bits, they are not made for metal.

Tags
brass, drill, for sale, glue, hand, handle, hobby, home, htm, knife, knifemaking, loveless, material, ore, pins, rod, sale, sand, scales, screws, silver, stainless, store, supply, tang