MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Registered

Can you Identify this??

[IMG][/IMG]

This knife was found in a yard in nebraska while doing some yard work. We would like to know what type of knife it is and what the small hook on the bottom is for. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old 12-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Steel Addict

Honestly, I could be absolutely wrong, but it looks like one of those old pakistan made novelty knives we used to buy at the flea market when I was a kid.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

That's just how it looks all right but, as far as could be told from that picture, it could just as easily be a genuine museum grade antique. Not that most of us could really tell the difference anyway since that style of knife is generally outside our area of focus. In any case, it appears to be a Middle Eastern style - that's close to a certainty - but whether flea market junk (probably) or 1000 year old treasure I doubt anyone here could say with certainty ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-18-2012, 05:12 PM
Steel Addict

I don't want to be a spoil sport here, but a knife dug up in a yard should be turned over to the police or at least shown to them. Murder weapons are commonly buried or tossed in a lake. If everything checks out ok you should get it back and they might know more about its value.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:01 PM
Master

Are there any markings on it? Can you take some clearer pictures from a couple different angles? I'm doubting that its a valuable piece but you never know. It doesn't appear to have much rust on the blade so that's telling me that it didn't sit in that yard for very long OR it's stainless or maybe even chrome plated. If its stainless or chrome plated it is most definatly a cheap "flea market" knife. If its carbon steel and has some serious signs of rust then it could be older. Does the handle look like it was cast? Or carved? Is the handle plated? If you get me some more info and better pictures I might be able to help you out.

Tags
antique, back, blade, handle, knife, knives, made, newbie, steel