MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-31-2003, 05:12 PM

T-Rex burner

I am building an atmospheric forge like the one found on zoellerforge.com. I am using T-Rex burners instead of the home made ones.
My question is about the igniter. If I drill a hole and weld a pipe nipple on the tube of one of these burners, will this change or degrade the air/fuel characteristics in this type of burner?
Has anyone ever done this?
Thanks,
Don
forge
Old 01-02-2004, 05:22 AM
Steel Addict

Igniter

Hi Don, Welcome to the CKD forums. I believe as long as you don't let the igniter protrude to far into the main burner tube it shouldn't have much effect on the overall operation of the burner.
I've built several of the T-Rex style burners and they do a good job but have found that if you asperate them they work much better. Give me a call if you have any questions.
Good luck with the new forge.

Cairo, MO 65239
phone-660-723-2044
www.duncanmadeknives.com
Old 01-04-2004, 07:00 PM

Thanks Ron, I am going to be really excited to fire this thing up when I get it finished.
Don
Old 03-07-2004, 05:31 PM

What kind of plumbing should be used for propane? Copper tubing, compression fittings?
I am using two T-Rex burners with individual ball valves so I can run one or both burners(I have a moveable back wall to change chamber size). I want to use a manifold of some type to connect the burners to the propane line. Problem is, I don't know what type of connectors/tubing ect. to use.
Thanks,
Don
Old 03-08-2004, 04:47 AM
Steel Addict

Don, The copper tubing and compression fittings will work fine for hooking up between the burners as will black iron pipe. I always use regular rubber propane hose to connect the propane tank to the burners. Be sure and install a safety cutoff close to the forge on the main gas line and a high pressure gas regulator at the tank for safety. Were having a hammer in at my place on April 17th and 18th . Give me a call if your interested in coming . Well have a bunch of knife nuts making Damascus and forging blades for two days. If your new to this then you could learn a bunch real quick watching some of these guys work. You'll also get to meet some of the MO knife makers and see a lot of beautiful knives first hand.

Cairo, MO 65239
phone-660-723-2044
www.duncanmadeknives.com

Tags
forge, forging, knife, knives