MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:50 PM
Skilled

Advice on Heat Treat Oven Design

Hi,

I am designing a heat treating oven that must be capable of treating all the common stainless varieties, say 1150?C (2100?F) for a top end. Based on my sampled data of a few of the popular Even-Heat models and the numbers come in between 3800 and 7800 Watts per cubic foot, which is a pretty large range.

I'd like to know any performance data, heats fast, slow, top temperature etc. + How many watts and what are the interior dimensions. I will assume that most every is using tight fitting insulated fire brick K23 or similar.

Bottom line is I am planning for 5000 W/cu.ft. and want to know if this is going to work well or take forever to get to temperature.

Empirical data is okay!

Thanks!

Dan
Old 11-16-2013, 07:36 PM
Steel Addict

I have the EvenHeat KF18 which is a tad over 5/8 CuFt with 3120 watts which is about 4600 watts/cu ft. It takes about an hour to come up to 1950?F range.... maybe 50 minutes? I plan for an hour. Your 5K watts/cu ft should be good.

Ken
Old 11-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Enthusiast

Where can you find info to build on of these and is it cheaper to build one than just buy one?
Old 11-17-2013, 09:12 AM
Skilled

Hi,

There are a few of posts on this site and others about building your own oven. I read a lot before I started making my HT oven. The main question was "is it worth it to make your own?"

I have $220 in parts into mine that includes insulated fire bricks, temperature controller, misc. electrical and steel parts. Some are from my scrap bin, so maybe not an exact price for everyone. I think if you bought one from Evenheat that is suitable for heat treating knives your starting at around $800 range. YMMV depending on size, shipping etc.

I don't have precise plans but I did document most of what I did and why in my blog. http://dcknives.blogspot.ca/p/electric-forge.html Bear in mind mine is a 120V 20A oven. Most ovens are 240V.

This is my baby.

Yesterday, I did my first successful 154CM heat treatment at 1050?C (1922?F).

The original plans I borrowed from are here: http://www.budgetcastingsupply.com/p...HT-FURNACE.pdf

If you do decide to make one, I'd be able to offer some advice.

Regards,

Dan

Old 11-18-2013, 08:11 AM
Steel Addict

Dan,
It looks great! I have been thinking of making one for a while, but never got started on it.
Getting the FB where I live is the problem, not many uses for it in south Florida.
I think that you helped inspire me to start on one, as soon as I finish the two air/hydraulic presses that I have started on.
Congratulations on a great build.
Fred
Old 11-19-2013, 12:10 PM
Enthusiast

yes i will be needing help on building that i think it would be much cheaper for me to ht myself than send to a treater, the only thing i wouldnt be able to do is cryo treat.

where did you get your controller from i like yours much better than the one in the write up
Old 11-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Skilled

The temperature controller I used is a Mypin TA4-SSR. It was cheap on Amazon, under $20 with free shipping from Hong Kong. Other similar models include the REX C100 and CXTG-3000. They all seem to indicate 400?C, but the description details say they can display up to 1999. So in degrees F you're still okay.

I did have to buy a special thermocouple that goes up to 1250?C (2282?F) and program the controller have a new max temp. If you're using the Fahrenheit scale, you'd be setting the max temp to 1999. Instructions were "fairly" clear if you are fluent in Engrish. ;-)

Dan

Old 11-19-2013, 03:09 PM
Enthusiast

yeah i was just reading your tutorial and some of it makes sense i am by no means an electrician, but i think i may be able to do it.

Tags
advice, bee, build, building, common, design, electrical, fire, forge, heat, heat treat, image, k23, knives, make, make your own, making, problem, scale, stainless, steel, tutorial