MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 01-08-2002, 11:32 PM
Sam Wereb

Talonite(R)

What are the true design limitations of Talonite(R) blades?

I have in mind a thin, wide-bladed fillet knife for commercial fish processing, wherein a guy may cut a thousand pounds per day, nearly every day. I knife that almost never needs sharpening and never rusts would be a godsend.

Does this material do well in thin profiles? Let's assume that the user will know not to keep dropping it and won't chop wood with it. He uses it strictly for its designed purpose.

Can a good fillet knife be made of this material? Using maybe .0625" thickness and, up to, one inch wide.

Old 01-09-2002, 05:14 PM
Rob Simonich

Sam, I dont have any personal experiance making fillet knives in Talonite. However a maker in Canada made up a few and one found its way to a commercial fisherman. I believe he used 1/16th thick stock on the knife. He had nothing but praise for the knife. I cant remember the numbers, but seems like he was going through fish by the ton with it. In thinly ground blades it will cut soft materials like flesh like crazy. It dosent spring well like a good stainless or carbon blade, but rather will take a bend. The bend can be straightened right out however. I think it would make a great fillet knife if you arent banging it on a hard surface like metal countertops.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:02 PM
Sam Wereb

Thanks, Rob. I had hoped to hear this. Very interesting.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:06 PM
Tom Mayo

Yeap, biggest problem with Talonite is its bendablity. Which in some cases is an asset as it wont chip easily. But the THINNER you grind it the easier it bends.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:14 PM
JHossom

Boy, there goes the neighborhood...
Old 01-10-2002, 01:33 PM
Sam Wereb

Tee hee! The neighborhood went to pot when nobody kicked me out.

If you don't mind being completely plain, how easily does it bend? As easily as the same thickness of aluminum? Can you give some sort of benchmark?
Old 01-10-2002, 02:27 PM
JHossom

Just a quick question here. Would it not be less inclined to bend if it were a deep hollow grind in thicker stock, where the spine thickness and the hollow would act to resist bending. You would end up with about the same weight, but less bend.
Old 01-10-2002, 07:08 PM
Tom Mayo

Ive been in your neighborhood pal....they all stared at us!!!

Flat ground is the strongest blade grind!!
Old 01-10-2002, 07:34 PM
JHossom

"Flat ground is the strongest blade grind!! "

Sorry, if you're talking about bending, that isn't true. A hollow grind is an arch, and arches don't like to bend. Further, a 3/16" spine is less prone to bending than an 3/32" flat.

Tags
blade, knife, knives