MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 06-02-2002, 06:29 AM
Raymond Richard

D-2 ?

A number of years ago I had bought some D-2 from a fellow knifemaker. I was quite surprized how easily it worked and was able to get a true mirrow polish which I had heard was not possible. After using this on several blades I had determined this was not D-2 but A-2. For the life of me now I can't remember how I came up with that determination. Yesteray I was doing some smallish blades with known A-2 and also using some of this questionable steel and I decided to spark it for some reason. Night and day difference, now I'm more baffled. I had bought some known D-2 a couple years ago and decided to spark it and compair the two, the spark looks identical to me.

How come the questionable steel is so easy to work and finish and the known D-2 is so oppisite? Both are annealed and seem dead soft. I know they make a number of D series steels, I'm thinking now thats what I've got.

Any feed back would be appreciated..........Ray
Old 06-05-2002, 10:17 AM
JHossom

I've found D2 fairly easy to work, especially when compared to some of the high-vanadium alloys, but it certainly won't polish easily. A few knifemakers have managed to put a pretty good polish on it, but "easy" was never used in their description of the process. A2 does polish pretty easily.

There are some modifications that have been used in what is defined as "D2", usually referred to as "D-2 Modified". I know some have had some additional chromium added. Maybe that is what you got originally. Tough call though.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:58 AM
Raymond Richard

Jerry,
Thanks for your input on the subject. I've got two more piece of the mistery steel left, when it is gone I'll probably never give it another thought....Ray
Old 06-20-2002, 09:41 AM
Sam Wereb

D2 Modified

Jerry is exactly right (as usual) about variations on D2 Modified. Sometimes it's helpful to remember that alloys vary widely by producer, and even heat-by-heat from the same producer.

I know that many makers have turned to Crucible's D2 Modified, which is known as "AIRDI 150," for consistency, high-quality, and cleanliness.
Old 09-03-2002, 04:55 PM

D2

AISI D2 tool steel, if properly annealed can be worked quite easily. I ran into the same problem, and have consulted reputable metallurgists in the area and they reply that D2 is D2. Minor variations in the alloying elements will not appreciably change the mechanical properties of the alloy. I have found that the anneal is very important to the workability of the alloy. Try Rockwell testing it and see if they are similar in value. ( I managed to anneal mine to about 17 HRc. but be very careful as it may de-carburize if not done properly.)