MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 11-20-2005, 08:08 PM

Buying a DDR-3 and....

First of all this is my first post. It is very nice to have a place like this to talk about knives. I have always had this urge to make my own but did not know where to start. These kits are perfect for me and I look forward to making quite a few.

I am interested in the DDR-3 version with a button, if it works like I think it does. I am North of Atlanta,GA, an area where the "switchblade" is not "legal". I have a MOD, Mark ll folder which has a button release and works just fine without a spring. I am wondering, if I order this knife and do not use a spring, will my knife still function properly?

To tell the truth I am not sure anyone even knows what a switchblade is anymore without testing it in a specific court. I believe Georgia and possibly some other areas toss "gravity knives" and "balisongs" right in there with knives that open automatically by pressing a button. Well how about the auto openers without buttons (open by manipulating the sides) and then there are the ones that auto open after the blade is moved a short distance from the frame and on & on & on.... I am also a little foggy on how having a ####### to carry a concealed weapon might play into this. I am guessing things all depends on the local police department, the specific law enforcement personnel, the district attorney, the judges....I wonder if anyone actually gets convicted for an "illegal" carry knife, that being the only "crime".

Still I would prefer not to give anyone any reason to consider prosecuting me.

Last edited by MacDougal; 11-20-2005 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:16 PM
Enthusiast

The DDRIII is made as a conversion kit and will function perfectly without any spring attachment. If you are in doubt about the leagailites of a knife it is best to play it on the safe side. Without the spring this kit is legal to carry and I think you will like the finished product.

Enjoy:evil

TG - 1960
Old 11-20-2005, 08:32 PM

Wow that was fast Jakedog I wasn't even done correcting my spelling & other errors yet. Thanks for that info. I like the DDR a great deal, from the pictures the button version has some other things that vary from the liner locker version that I prefer as well. Guess I will be adding one to my order tomorrow.

I was also wondering if it was possible to use Ez Hidden Bolt Fastners instead of the stock screws to secure the handle slabs. Then I could change handles once a week *G*.

Now what material for that handle......
Old 11-20-2005, 09:30 PM
Steel Addict

Hi McDougal:

I am new also and just completed my first DDR3-BL with spring. I am delighted with the outcome. You can change scales all you want with the stock screws. I live in Florida where automatic knives and just about any other weapon is legal if you have a concealed weapons permit.

This is a terrific place to learn about knifemaking. All the users are helpful.

Steve
nettech3@cox.net
Old 11-24-2005, 09:50 PM
Steel Addict

Hi MacDougal:

Take a look at this website that explains all knife laws:

http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm#A-H

Hope it helps.

Steve
nettech3@cox.net

Guns, Big Knives, Outdoors www.ramanon.com
Old 11-25-2005, 03:40 PM
Enthusiast

Well now that the subject has been broached I to have issues with the DDR3-BL as a non-auto. Unless I've totally missed something it is almost impossible to open one handed unless the tension at the pivot is left so loose that the blade flops around like a beached fish. Don't get me wrong - this is an observation not a complaint. I have and use regularly, all of the DDR series knives (the DDR-2 is my favorite EDC) They are simply the best. This is all just to say if you don't want an auto get one of the other DDR's.

Thats the end of my rant.

Brian

Old 11-28-2005, 06:46 AM

I have to jump in here. One thing you don't want is trouble with the local police/courts.

The DDR line of knives is very easy to manipulate the thumb stud to open the knives with one hand as fast as amost any auto, they are great knives.

You hold the kmife with one hand and as if you were shooting marbles with your thumb, place the tip of your thumb under the thumb stud, by flicking the thumb upward, the blade flings open with plenty of force to open it.

It takes a little practice, and you have to do it carefully, but after an hour or less with practice, you can open the knife as good as any auto out there. Be sure to not draw your thumb back against the blade, it is very sharp.

The blade should be set with a slight drag so the blade isn't too loose.
I have been carrying a DDR3 non button lock for the last year, I am able to hand the knife to a policeman without worrying about going to jail, and the knife is as fast as an auto at the same time.
Darrell really put some thought into this design, the stud is in the exact position to do this, it works perfectly.
Although I haven't used the DDR1 or DDR2, it looks like either of those knives have the same stud and bolster location so they should be able to be opened the same way.
Good Luck,
Metalchipper
Old 12-02-2005, 05:15 PM

Interesting discussion on the legal issue surrounding well.... folding knives. The link that was given above is interesting. I wonder how recent that information is. I have a link to the Ga Laws on my computer and as yet have not found the specific law. The information in the link provided seems to say that it is illegal to carry any offensive or defensive knife concealed. That could be any folding knife in my opinion.

I have spent a great deal of time with police officers in the last 20 years. I train dogs and have had contracts with police K9 Units. Until This year I was spending several days each week training with police officers and their dogs. I have used "folding knives" which I believe I could open as fast as any switch blade in the presence of these officers for many years. The only problem I ever had was helping them to remember to return them after the many times they were borrowed to cut food for tracking, trim burlap sleeves, ........

I got curious one day and asked the ranking officer K9 handler about the laws concerning knives in GA. The whole group seemed at a loss as to exactly what the law was. We even whipped out their traveling guide to laws & could not find it. There are all sorts of laws on the books that are not enforced until someone starts becoming a threat to the general peace and well being. I had/have a very good reason to have a folding knife on me most of the time and all the police officers I know seem to expect it & get irritated if I don't.

I don't think the DDR3-BL will be an issue in my area. Even young zealous officers seem to figure out pretty quick what their department feels the major issues are in their area. I can't see that reasonable citizens carrying pocket knives is going to be the focus of any department in my area. Now a student packing any folder onto school property would be an issue.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

There's some truth to what cdknives says. I remember an incident a few years ago where a guy was hauled in for carrying a concealed weapon. It was a softball bat. He was on his way home from a softball game and got pulled over. He got lippy with the cops, they searched the car and he was arrested.

Darrel Ralph designed the Camillus Heat. It has no spring but opens as fast as any 'assisted opening' knife I've ever seen.

Old 12-04-2005, 11:43 AM
Enthusiast

I have bought a ddr3bl as a non auto knife and i must say as a non auto it is not very practical. FIrst you must leave the pivot point so loose that the blade flops around like a fish. and second and most importantly without a spring there is no lock keeping the blade open once it is deployed. IF you do not use a spring or tighten the knife enough the blade could close on your hand a s it does not lock open.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:09 PM

Casper, I would call whoever you ordered the knife from. Those kits are suppose to come with a spring that goes under the button to tension them. Apparently kits are being shipped without that spring. My kit was missing the spring and some screws. Apparently another poster above got one without a spring too. The spring I am talking about does not deploy the blade, it helps keep the blade in place & locks it in the open or closed position. If you look at the assembly directions closely you will see it.

That said, my blade is still wobbling, even with the spring. I think the problem is I can not get the pivot pin screw tight enough. There was lock nut on my screw which I think may be causing the problem, so far I have not been able to remedy the situation. I have another post on the pivot pin problem if you want to check it out.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Enthusiast

i gotr my spring the other day and i put it in, it locks the blade shut but not open. I find that a significant safety issue for me. the only way to make this knife somewhat acceptable to me is to have a very strong blade spring on it to ensure it takes some force to close it. Maybe i am also missing someother parts, is the knife supposed to lock open? if so i can not get it to, it only locks shut.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:09 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper
I have bought a ddr3bl as a non auto knife and i must say as a non auto it is not very practical. FIrst you must leave the pivot point so loose that the blade flops around like a fish. and second and most importantly without a spring there is no lock keeping the blade open once it is deployed. IF you do not use a spring or tighten the knife enough the blade could close on your hand as it does not lock open.
Casper-
You've received a bl parts kit that was missing the button actuator spring. These are standard with all BL kits and should be present in your parts kit. If you've already reported this to us (knifekits.com), then it's on the way. If not, you can call or e-mail and the first available person will take care of it for you.

Please do not use the completed kit until you have this component in place. It is designed to hold the lock in position and the knife won't function safely as designed without it. I don't recommend leaving the blade too loose either, so that you can swing the blade open or closed with little or no resistance. We included a thumbstud with the design to help you open and close the blade when properly tightened. Leaving too much play will cause a reletively loose and unsafe blade on any folder that I know of.

Please report your missing part to:
support@knifekits.com

Alex
Old 12-04-2005, 02:13 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper
i gotr my spring the other day and i put it in, it locks the blade shut but not open. I find that a significant safety issue for me. the only way to make this knife somewhat acceptable to me is to have a very strong blade spring on it to ensure it takes some force to close it. Maybe i am also missing someother parts, is the knife supposed to lock open? if so i can not get it to, it only locks shut.
I'm sorry, we posted over each other.

Not only does it lock closed and open, but Darrel also designed a safety switch which holds the lock for added performance. If your lock does not hold the blade open, I recommend that you call Darrel (our designer) for assistance with the build. We're available to answer questions during standard business hours and will be happy to assist you as you learn.

Alex
Old 12-04-2005, 02:35 PM

Casper
Tap the blade edge on a piece of wood.
This should seat the stop pin and allow the buttom to engage in the open position.

Tags
blade, folding knife, knife, knives, switchblade