MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > The Supply Center

The Supply Center What's Hot ... and where the deals are! Supplies are our specialty ...

Old 02-02-2001, 11:24 AM
vdkknives

I need a 2 X 72

I am looking for a 2 X 72 grinder in the Ontario Canada area. I don't particularily care if it works or not. I can figure out how to mount a new motor if necessary. Location and price are the main considerations. Anything with in a 4 hour drive of Toronto is acceptable. Hope this is the right forum for this if not please delete.
Thanks
Steve

Old 02-02-2001, 01:29 PM
ERIC ELSON

Steve by the sounds of it your looking for a used grinder??,
If your looking For a NEW one though Jim Downie in Port Franks sells BEE grinders.

www.downieknives.downie.com

BTW how was the Wolverine show??

Old 02-02-2001, 03:00 PM
Don Cowles

...or you can order a Coote (US$333?), have it shipped to me, and pick it up in Detroit...
Old 02-14-2001, 10:26 PM
MIKE KOLLER

Does anyone have a picture of a "Coote" grinder ? Also , has anyone bought a 2x72 from Beaumont Machine Works ? How do you like it?
Old 03-04-2001, 06:14 PM
Mondt

I just saw a 2 X 72 grinder made in Midland Michigan in the newest issue of Blade. Base price is $500. Not bad!
Old 09-06-2001, 02:58 AM
Kevin Miller

Mondt - I believe the grinder in Midland is made by Log Cabin Forge by Stan Parsons. I called him last night for a catalogue. His number is 517-631-5744.

vdkknives - I am also looking for a new grinder. Did you check out Rob Frinks KMG-1? Look here!
Old 09-06-2001, 02:11 PM
primos

Welcome to the forums Kevin. We're glad to have you. I took a look at your web site. I see you've been doing kit knives. Looks like you're doing pretty good on the fit and finish work. That's the hard part.

So you're ready to start making them from scratch? Well, you're in the right place. There's lots of friendly folks around here who will be glad to help.
Old 09-06-2001, 03:13 PM
Don Cowles

Welcome aboard, Kevin- glad to have you with us. Stop down for a visit some time!
Old 09-06-2001, 09:30 PM
Kevin Miller

Thanks for the welcome Don and Terry!

Don - I will take you up on your invitation if I can sneak away from the family for an afternoon
Old 09-07-2001, 12:54 PM
rfrink

2 X 72 grinder

I just shipped a big honkin' 14" KMG1 to the Toronto Area last month.

The North American Free Trade agreement makes its very easy to do business across the US, Candian, and Mexican borders. UPS offers a Canadian delivery service that is very reasonable also.

Take Care,
Rob Frink

Old 09-07-2001, 01:10 PM
Kevin Miller

Shipping to Canada

That may be so Rob, but what sucks is the brokerage and handling fee from customs.

I prefer to have stuff shipped to Port Huron just accross the border from me and import it myself. But I suppose the fees may be ok if you live far from the border.
Old 09-07-2001, 03:20 PM
ERIC ELSON

Re: Shipping to Canada

Mr . Frink if you dont mind me asking, How much did it cost to get that grinder to Toronto?
Old 09-07-2001, 04:10 PM
rfrink

Eric, the shipping charges for the 14" grinder and accessories came to $109. The total weight was about 160 lbs and I sent 2 packages.

Kevin,
Bummer to hear about those fees.
I spoke to several federal offices such as: US Customs, Imigration, The Censes Dept, Dept of taxation...bla bla bla...and after being on hold for a few hours and transferred about 100 times.... it was carefully explained to me that under NAFTA, there are no brokerage charges or customs fees for most products of NAFTA origin. I submitted a "certificate of origin" form and the product was classified/catagorized very specifically. On my end, it was relatively painless and UPS made it very convienient. I really don't know what happens on the other end though...and now I'm a bit discouraged.

Do you have anymore info?

Take Care,
Rob

Old 09-08-2001, 01:38 AM
ansoknives

I was in need of a grinder and lived in the States..I would not think twice about getting on of your grinders Rob!
Old 09-09-2001, 06:25 AM
Kevin Miller

Fees Fees Fees

Here's some info - www.ups.com/canada/using/software/currentrates/engcustoms_rates.html

www.pcb.ca/faq.asp#two

www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/menu-e.html

I think you should be aking Canada Customs as I believe the fees are charged on our side.
Try this www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/~eicb/general/impcan-e.htm - try calling this number 1-800-267-8376.

Hope this helps.

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives