MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > The Supply Center

The Supply Center What's Hot ... and where the deals are! Supplies are our specialty ...

Old 09-23-2001, 06:41 PM
William

Welding flux

Anybody know where to get anhydrous borax in the Jackson Hattiesburg, Gulfport Mississippi area?
Old 09-23-2001, 07:39 PM
MIKE KOLLER

I am rather new to some of this myself but if this is basicly the same as Mule team Borax give this link a shot www.dialcorp.com/index.cfm?page_id=55 it will help you find it in your area.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-01-2001, 05:38 PM
Geno

The only ones I know of who use it, make thier own.
Pour the borax into a taperred bucket and cook it down into a blob, let it cool, when it becomes solid like a brick, pop the brick out of the bucket and into a pillow case or bath towel and pulverise it with a hammer until it is a siftable powder ready to use.
This is the highly conentrated stuff now , so just use a tiny bit of it when you use it. It flows fine when it gets HOT.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-01-2001, 07:58 PM
William

Thanks, I will try it, couple of questions though,

How hot do I have to get it?

Can I do it on a hot plate or do I have to do it in the forge?
Old 10-02-2001, 08:06 AM
Geno

The only time I did it, I put it in my oven at 900' for an hour, then turned it off and set over night.
I doubt a hot plate will work.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:34 PM
bldsmith

I finnaly found a supplier in the net. Young chemical co. I do not remember the link but I called them and they sent me #150 for .75 a lb plus shipping. That killed me since they are midwest and I am in CA.
I also called the phone number for 20 mule team and they gave me a list of local suppliers. That way when I run out I can get it a bit cheaper. Good luck
Old 02-21-2002, 09:17 PM
Mike Sader

bldsmith, Wal-mart is a good source for 20 mule team,most grocerie stores carry it too,in the laundry section. Mike
Old 03-01-2002, 05:00 PM
sjaqua

Go to the welding supply store in your area. They sell anhydrous borax by the pound. And a little goes a long way. Anhydrous borax is sold as flux for brazing.

Another source are casting supply houses. Anhydrous borax is once again used as a flux when casting some non-ferris metals.

Scott B. Jaqua
Old 03-01-2002, 11:15 PM
William

sjaqua, Nordan and Airgass don't carry it down here, I wound up makeing some, and have sence learned to work with regurlar borax.

Guess I just needed to practice.8o
Old 03-14-2002, 12:19 PM
sjaqua

This may sound silly, but have you tried Sears?

The Sears tool department near me carries brazzing flux in small tins.

Scott B. Jaqua
Old 03-20-2002, 05:49 PM
bldsmith

I used the 20 mule team for about 10 yrs and was successful but it was not consistent. I even tried cooking it down and grinding it into a fine pouder but to no avail. Finally I obtained some anhydrous when I took a class from Wayne Godard and tried it. It has made a world of difference in my welds. I called around about the welding/brazing flux and they wanted $12-$25 a pound. I use way tooo much to spend that kind of money. The ceapest was buying the 50lb bags from the chem co. I figure I paid about $1.50 a pound which is not too bad. I have a few years worth but I can live with it. Anhydrous borax makes a huge difference in the welding process. It melts at a slightly lower temp than 20-mule team. I did not believe that the difference was worth the trouble until I tried it.. AS you can see I am now an advocate for anhydrous borax, esp for those just starting out.....

Tags
forge