MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Historical Inspiration

Historical Inspiration This forum is dedicated to the discussion of historical knife design and its influence on modern custom knife work.

Old 07-26-2004, 12:46 AM

One Million Dollars Worth of Antique Bowies

Just returned from the Missouri Valley Arms Collectors show in Kansas City. Unreal! They hosted the Antique Bowie Knife Association's displays and membership meeting. You would not believe the fantastic antique Bowie style knives on display. I held a beautiful newly discovered Samuel Bell Bowie with gold fittings worth in excess of $100,000, as well as other important authentic Bowies with prices of 75K, 55K and 35K, etc. I confess I did not understand what all the fuss was about from reading and seeing pictures of these famous historic knives, and many of their lesser bretheren - UNTIL I HELD THEM IN MY HANDS. Historical? - Yes. Inspirational? - Yes again. Hope you enjoy these pictures - good as I could get through glass cases. The first three constitute a single display which I divided into three images.

Old 07-26-2004, 12:49 AM

Want more? Here are another three images - again, from a single large display.

Old 07-26-2004, 12:53 AM

Here are some handle close-ups.

Old 07-26-2004, 01:00 AM

Here are handle shots of two famous Bowie knives. The top one is a huge Schively knife, and the bottom one is a French Bowie type knife with a seal engraved in the pommel for sealing wax on envelopes and such.

And here are some early American (most of the above are English knives imported and sold in America) Bowie knives.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:16 AM

This was a very interesting display of 'garter knives.' Prostitutes often carried these for self-defense and protecting their 'bankroll.' You can see images of three women and their arrest records contained in the display. There's a close-up of one of them below.

Old 07-26-2004, 01:22 AM

Here are a couple of small (but very pricey) Schively dirks. Note the fuller on the one resting on top of the glass case. Below is a close-up of the maker's stamp on the guard.

Old 07-26-2004, 01:28 AM

Another couple of interesting displays with some additional period pieces.........followed by various handle shots.

Old 07-26-2004, 01:48 AM

And finally, here is a picture of Norm Flayderman (L) and David Kleiner (R) deep into it at the show. David Kleiner is (by all reports) an honest and reputable dealer of antique weaponry and related artifacts - great guy, full of knowledge, patient and non-pushy with newbies like me. He's from Bloomingburg, NY.

Norm Flayderman is likely one of the top collectors of antique arms, including Bowie knives, of all time. He's just finished a new Bowie book published by Man At Arms magazine (an NRA affiliate) that goes well beyond The Antique Bowie Knife Book. The book should be widely available this fall, uses a full color large-format approach yielding the best-ever images of many incredible Bowie knives and (this sets it apart from The Antique Bowie Knife Book) detailed related text by Mr. Flayderman. It will sell for just under $80.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:04 AM

Post Script:
"Heard at the show" - Guns are out, knives are in. Why? The regulatory climate, not just in the US, but especially in Europe, Canada and basically all over - has made it very difficult for dealers to bring their guns to shows and/or for buyers to transport them home. It's just too much trouble any more. Predictably gun sales are down, down, down. With knives, apparently it's different - things aren't nearly as bad as with guns. Many buyers are turning to knives (antique AND custom) so, predictably, prices are going up! "A rising tide floats all ships." If you're a maker and can figure out how to get in on this trend, you should experience increased demand over the next several years.

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 07-26-2004, 06:01 AM

Only *one* million...!!!????

Talk about inspiring! What a thread!

Thanks, Buddy. This one is top-ten!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 07-26-2004, 07:29 AM
Living Legend

I NOW NEED MEDICATION TO STOP THE DROOLING... Oh Man. That is truly inspiring. And those pictures are exceptional - thank you for sharing, Buddy. I have orders for 8 new Bowies in the coming weeks - this has given my blood a fresh rush. Thanks again. Jason.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 07-26-2004, 07:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Thanks for posting those, Buddy! You rule!

I've been saving pics for a bowie commission and you just outdid (by a long shot) my efforts!

Hmmm... I'd like to see more pic collections posted in here...

jloose.com

Old 07-26-2004, 08:09 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Thanks Buddy.

Old 07-26-2004, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Gracias Amigo!

Do you have a full length image of Bowie towards the bottom with the black/studded handle?

PS When you get a chance give mea call - I've got a couple of things I'd like to discuss about our visit.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Burrows
Do you have a full length image of Bowie towards the bottom with the black/studded handle?
Chuck,
I love that one too. Unfortunately I didn't get a full length shot but I can report that the blade is approximately 7 in. in length, double edge dagger with spear-point tip, no fuller. Owner "thinks"/"feels" it's a Samuel Bell knife - others think not. Owner points to the silver 'straps' separating the wood handle sections as indicative of Bell's work. No scabbard. I forget the asking price but it was many thousands.
BT

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives