MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > The Supply Center

The Supply Center What's Hot ... and where the deals are! Supplies are our specialty ...

Old 01-10-2003, 05:24 PM
Skilled

Nylatron washers

Where would a guy get about 500 nylatron washers?

Old 01-10-2003, 07:03 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to striper28 Send a message via Yahoo to striper28
Any of the major supply houses sells them, Kovals, TKS, ect. They might even give you a volume discount.

Member of the Knifemakers Guild!
Visit my webpage at
www.gedraitisknives.com
Old 01-10-2003, 08:28 PM
Hall of Famer

hello george - glad to have you back.
mscdirect has some. or you could make your own out of their nylon 6/6 impregnated with molybdinum-disulphide (=nylatron) and a punch if you have the time.

Old 01-10-2003, 08:33 PM
Skilled

George, the ones that the knife supply houses have are pretty small. If you're looking for a broader diameter then making them yourself is a good option. Just curious, but I thought you didn't make folders???

Incidentally, I have been using Nylatron for a while now and am just about to make a switch to teflon per Kit Carson's recommendation. I also am contemplating trying out phosphor bronze although I would have to buy a huge piece for the privilege of it.

Knives, Tools and Videos: http://www.phlaunt.com/atwoodknives
Old 01-10-2003, 08:37 PM
Skilled

Check out http://www.espemfg.com/ You can get about 6,000 3/8" with 3/16" hole for around $100.00.

A.T.

New knives added 01.08.03 http://www.customknives.com/new.htm
"Don't you buy no ugly knife"
Old 01-11-2003, 08:44 PM
Skilled

Thanks A.T. that was the info that I was looking for. At the moment 6000 will last me a little while but the price is not too much of a burden.

I am beginning to work on some folders and like the feel of the nylatron washers but they get contaminated during asssembly and disassembly so I would like to throw them out and replace them before shipping.

I am looking into using a counter bore to recess the washers a little into the liners to minimize the gap between the blade and liners.

Although I have a full line of fixed blades I don't like having to go back to the shop in the evenings to work on knives, the folders can be worked on in the basement for the most part and will fill out the product line. The way I figure it the wider the range of product that I offer the steadier the work will be. Hate working with those 0-80 screws though, my fingers are so large that the only way I can handle them is with tweezers.

Old 01-11-2003, 09:51 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally posted by george tichbour
Thanks A.T. that was the info that I was looking for. At the moment 6000 will last me a little while but the price is not too much of a burden.

I am beginning to work on some folders and like the feel of the nylatron washers but they get contaminated during asssembly and disassembly so I would like to throw them out and replace them before shipping.

I am looking into using a counter bore to recess the washers a little into the liners to minimize the gap between the blade and liners.

Although I have a full line of fixed blades I don't like having to go back to the shop in the evenings to work on knives, the folders can be worked on in the basement for the most part and will fill out the product line. The way I figure it the wider the range of product that I offer the steadier the work will be. Hate working with those 0-80 screws though, my fingers are so large that the only way I can handle them is with tweezers.

Yeah, using new washers when you have completed the knife works the best. I just save some of my old ones to use while I'm making the knife.

As far as counterboring the liners for the washers, if you use .015 thickness, I don't think that is necessary. You will really be causing yourself a lot of trouble. That won't leave you much clearance. That's why some makers use a (IMO) very thick washer thickness of .032 or .040. That thickness hides a lot of off center grinds. You can get those washers as thin as .010,..... I think.

Those tweezers really help.

Good Luck,
A.T.

New knives added 01.08.03 http://www.customknives.com/new.htm
"Don't you buy no ugly knife"
Old 01-12-2003, 07:49 AM
Skilled

I once had the opportunity to handle one of Tim Herman's knives and was impressed with the tight fit of blade to scales, almost seamless. That is a look that I would like to get on small gent's folders. The big working models don't look out of place with a little gap, it is almost expected.

Old 01-12-2003, 09:46 AM
Skilled

If I recall correctly, Tim Herman doesn's use washers, but machines a raised bearing surface of a few thousandths.
They do look seamless!
I can't find the thread at the moment, but believe it was in response to one of my folder posts in the display case about a month ago, in which he included pictures of the geometry of one of his current line.
On my own folders, I've found that teflon compresses with use a little more than nylatron, but does seem to be initially smoother.

Old 01-12-2003, 09:04 PM
Skilled

I kind of expected that, the fit was too perfect to have a washer in there.

Tags
blade, knife, knives