MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > The Supply Center

The Supply Center What's Hot ... and where the deals are! Supplies are our specialty ...

Old 04-21-2003, 07:51 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

Thumbs up

Okay, finished Ring Gidgee looks real good on knives and guns. Let me show you what some of the stuff Steve is cutting looks like right out of the box:

I can't wait to get a piece of this stuff hand-sanded down to 2000 grit and shined up with a good coat of wax.

I am s-o-o-o happy. Obviously I'd like to see Steve make some good money on this stuff because he's such a nice guy, but on the other hand, if you guys aren't buying it all up that leaves more for me!

Click the banner above to visit my website
Old 04-21-2003, 11:10 PM
Enthusiast

Split an order anyone

I love the wood but don't need / can't afford a big order. Any two or three guys want to go in a split a min. order?

Seth Howard
Baton Rouge, La.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:57 AM
Steel Addict

Mr. Primos, that block of wood sure looks like the right size for a bowie like I have on order. Hint, hint, nudge, nudge, say no more, say no more.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:28 AM
Steel Addict

Steve, I have sent 3 emails in the last couple of days with no response......I want to order some gidgee, please contact me at:

fandc@dm-tech.net

thanks......

Frank Bradley

Old 04-24-2003, 02:08 PM
Living Legend

me too

Yeah, Frank, I'll second that. No response. Just assuming there is some mitigating factor here which has delayed response to our e-mails. Sure do want some of that wood, it's great stuff to work with, and is certainly beautiful.

Steve, if you see this please contact me too:

fitzo1@ameritech.net

thanks
Old 04-24-2003, 02:22 PM

Gentlemen, be a little forgiving of Steve and emails. I think he is the type that checks his email every few days instead of every hour like the rest of us. He will get back to you. Lets hope he is at the forge making knives!

Old 04-24-2003, 04:30 PM
Living Legend

Terrill,

I don't think anything bad was being said, so nothing for us to be chastised for. As I said, there is probably a reason he didn't respond. Hopefully we'll hear from him. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:55 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

I may have my wires crossed, but I think I heard that Steve's home and his shop are not in the same place. I may have dreamed that, but I think I heard that he drives some distance and can be gone for days.

To the best of my knowledge, he's not in an area like me where the Interstate is a short hop away. Here's a pic he sent me that is the area where he hunts down the Gidgee. He said, "... this is the sort of country I lived most of my life. It's the quietest place in the world ...".

Those two tracks you see are the main highway I guess.

Anyway, he'll be back.

Click the banner above to visit my website
Old 04-26-2003, 06:35 PM

Sorry, guys I have been away a few days forging, I live in town now and have to travel to my dads to forge. Funny you should mention it Terry, those two wheell tracks are a main road.

Steve,,,,,,,,

Old 04-27-2003, 03:40 PM
Living Legend

Dedicated knife man.

As mentioned, Steve's forge is a distance away and it sounds like a bit of a nightmare to me - having to WAIT a couple of weeks to plan a trip to forge blades. The other knifemaker whose knife is featured - Shawn McIntyre also has to travel a fair distance to his forge only every now and then. Me, I head out the back yard and start forging on a Saturday morning, just to annoy the $%& out of the neighbours. (Seriously, its not that bad...)

GIDGEE !! The piece Terry has in his hand is a superb example. This has got to be my favourite natural wood. Too bad I can't get any. Steve tells me that the wood also changes colour depending on where it grows. Its very dense (like ironwood), oily and requires no stabilising. Apparently it can be done - but no need. And talk about a wood that finishes beautifully - take a hint from Terry's post - "finish to 2000grit and wax" ... MMMMMM ... Danish oil works well too. Those of you who have worked with it may have noticed a nice citrus-like smell when it is ground or sanded. I have and I like it, but I AM crazy.

I've seen too many Curly Maple and Black Walnut and African Blackwood on presentation Bowie's. Ringed Gidgee is the next curly maple, I reckon. This stuff is in real short supply. Better get some before you guys get disappointed.

Steve, See ya at the Show. Jason.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 04-27-2003, 05:09 PM

Sorry Mike, I was not trying to chastise you or the other guys, it is just my manner of speach. Momma never said I was the smartest.
But anyway, we know Steve is around again. ( of course I just thought he had a girlfriend somewhere in the outback)

Old 04-27-2003, 06:30 PM
Living Legend

Apologies

Terrill,

Sorry I was so quick to snap back with hackles up. I'm getting to be a worn out old dog and sometimes bite for no good reason on a bad day. I get thin skinned sometimes when I shouldn't....apologies.

Anyhow, just like you said, Steve got in touch with me when he came in from his spin on that marvelous highway!

I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on some of that beautiful wood again. I don't even think it needs any finish coat whatsoever. And it has that opalescent "chatoyance" or whatever the heck that word is..hehe

Take care....

Last edited by fitzo; 04-27-2003 at 06:34 PM.

Tags
forge, forging, knife, knives