MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 11-24-2002, 09:45 PM
Registered

Tanto Blade?

I'm new to this forum, but I'm looking for opinions on the blade for my new pocket friend.

I love the geometric shape of a Tanto, but the knife will be for general use and of course possible self defense. I think the more practical blade would be a drop point, but I just love that thick spine and shape of the tanto. Also, do you really loose a lot of slicing ability with a tanto?

Opinions please, and don't hold back.

Thanks in advance,

Frodo
Old 11-24-2002, 09:53 PM
Living Legend

Welcome to the forums. Someone will be along that likes Tanto's that can give you an opinion. I like drop points.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 11-25-2002, 05:33 AM
Skilled

Rule of thumb says that the thicker the blade the more cutting resistance. It follows that a blade that progresses rapidly from a cutting edge to full thickness has greater cutting resistance than a full tapered blade.

Of course it all depends on what you are cutting, sushi knives are chisel ground but they are used to cut fish primarily.

Old 11-26-2002, 08:44 PM
Living Legend

Question similar thoughts

I like tantos too, but find the shape of a drop point or spear point more universally practical. This is more a function of the shape of the forward half of the blade and what I call the immediate bearing surface of the edge - the bit of the edge that touches the material first when pressed up against it.

Thick is stronger, but wedges quickly. Some people also find the different grind at the tip (if thats the style you're referring to) of some tanto designs, eg.- Cold Steel Tanto, to be well, different. I'm one of those people. I personally like the tanto blades that have a fully curved continuous edge, without the "step" at the forward portion. This makes it just as effective as any other blade shape. The upsweep of the blade is also similar to a Persian-style or trailing point which is good for some tasks but still not good for many others.

Also, if you look at many tantos and Japanese type swords, the grind terminates about midway or 2/3 up the width of the blade - ie.- similar to a sabre grind. I presume its for strength. I didn't realise how significant that feature is in maintaining the overall look of a real tanto. When I first made knives, I went straight into wrapped handles, Japanese styled knives. I made a flat grind that went the full height all the way to the spine. Sliced nicely (my knives were also quite thin) but they just didn't look right somehow, probably for the above reason.

My 2 cents. Cheers.

(Matthew 10.16)

Tags
blade, knife, knives