MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 05-12-2002, 12:56 PM
Taz575

S30V Big knife testing

Has anyone done testing for larger S30V blades? Like impact for chopping, bend tests, etc??? Jerry or Simonich??? I have a customer who has a 11" bladed bowie on order and he is wondering what the strength of it would be. I have made smaller blades from this steel, and some kitchen knives, and its great, but I was wondering how the testing is going with larger blades. I will prob use the 58 rockwell for the 11" bowie.
Old 05-13-2002, 01:37 PM
JHossom

Before I sold any knives in S30V, I had Gaucho test a large (11") blade in it to see what we had. Cutting hard wood and bone, he didn't even phase it. The blade performed beautifully. Even though I had given the knife an especially fine point to see how it would do, and he stabbed it into both wood and bone, it survived without a problem.

Both Rob and I did some internal testing and compared notes. Again, it performed beautifully in everything we did. I was able to produce a tiny chip with one of the tests I ran, but only a CPM-3V blade has ever passed that test unscathed, and I was able to sharpen out the chip it was so small. This is simply the best knife steel ever made IMHO. 3V is a little better, but it rusts.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:09 PM
Taz575

S30V

thanks, jerry! I'm workin on polishing up some S30V. i got it to 2000 grit hand finish on some that is 61 rockwell, but it was a pita. It holds the 2000 grit and lower scratches really well, so its hard to get a clear finish on it.
Old 06-07-2002, 07:21 PM
ghen

I watched Rob Simonich test a S30V knife to destruction just last week. I (among others) was very impressed. I do not want to steal Rob's thunder, as I understand he wants to write up the report, but I will say, if Rob's work is any indication you won't have a problem with this steel.

PEACE

GHEN
Old 06-08-2002, 09:17 AM
JHossom

Are you saying it actually outperformed your machete?

Tags
blade, knife, knives