MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:45 AM
Guru

Thumbs up Heat Treating O1

I live in an apartment and I made some O-1 steel blades sometime ago and I am able to have them heat treated at my local college which has a blacksmith shop. I was wondering if it would help the hardness and toughness since the O-1 contains 0.5% chrome and tungsten if after heat treat I leave the blades in dry ice over night before tempering?
I remember reading a long time ago that it would help with the 55100 ball bearing steels as they had a small % of chrome in them.

My uncle wants me to make some kitchen knives that he can hand down to his grandson and I was wondering if the cryo treated knives from Texas Knifemakers Supply would be as good as they claim about holding an edge, does anyone know? I have to make the handles out of something that can stand up to being put in the dishwasher as my uncle said that he didn't want to hassle about it. I have a bunch of cocobolo too and can't use it. Would the stabilized woods hold up to being put in the washer many times? I know dymondwood won't.

BTW I used to be a TIG welder and the "heat treat guy" at a machine shop, but I'm retired now and have limited space and equipment. I have a 12" drill press and a 1x42 belt x8" disc sander and a scroll saw. Plus a variety of tools for precision work. I heat treated O-1 and D-2 and some cobalt steels that were unbelievably hard and treated at only 900 degrees. I hard faced with the cobalt stuff, but it was brittle too. I don't know if you could make a knife with the cobalt stuff as the stuff we used was very very brittle.

Last edited by jimmontg; 01-31-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:00 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I cryo my O1 blades and believe that it helps a little with toughness. Some steels it helps, others not so much, but it never hurts.

NOTHING survives a dish washer without damage (in terms of knives). Micarta would probably be best, it will get ugly but it won't be functionally damaged. However, if you make full tang knives the dishwasher will still separate the scales from the tang. O1 will not do well in the dishwasher, nor will any other carbon steel. Tell you uncle to man up and learn to care for his knives or he won't have one to pass on to anybody.

Heat treating a knife blade properly and heat treating tools in a shop are barely related subjects. Very little of what you did in the machine shop will apply to properly heat treating a knife blade ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-31-2016, 10:28 PM
Guru

Thank you

I appreciate your reply. If I had the facilities I would make all my knives out of D-2, but I don't. Just the gas forges in the weld shop of the college down the hill.
http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/im...ilies/help.gif
When I asked about the kitchen knives I didn't mean I was going to grind them myself I was going to get the sets from Texas Knifemaker Supply and dress them up with a lateral hand sanded finish to 1200 grit and since he will put them in a dishwasher I am going to use the inlace acrylester with loveless bolts to keep the scales from lifting if the glue gets trashed from the heat cycle of the dishwasher. I was just wondering if the TKS cryo treated kitchen knives hold an edge as good as they claim. I called and asked and they said they were "about 58-59 which would be acceptable. I just don't want some Rc 52-54 stuff.

I myself never send out a knife under Rc 59-60, but I don't have any way to heat treat anything but the carbon steels and O-1 is about the best of the bunch in my experience. I also use old Nicholson files when I can find them as they are a superior carbon steel as well and respond well to a dry ice treatment overnight. I have ten of them ranging from .100 to .150 and I annealed them with a buddy's torch. Just heat them till they turn blue. I'm giving a drop point skinner to my apt. maintenance guy who just came back from Afghanistan.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:50 AM

Ray's dead on start to finish. Listen up.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
apply, art, blade, blades, carbon, cryo, edge, files, full tang, heat treat, knife, knife blade, knifemaker, knives, make, man, micarta, scales, shop, supply, tang, tools, toughness