MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 11-30-2003, 10:03 AM
Skilled

Question Question on soft liners?

Hey fellows, I have a question about liners. FWIW, I have gone back an read almost ever post, so I'll try to not ask the same questions again.

A lot of my bolsters are Mosiac Damascus that I either etch or heat blue like this http://customknives.com/pix139.htm. So what is absolutely the softest liner I can use for a friction pouch?

When I make a knife with that type of bolster, should I just make a flap type and not try to get a tight fit?

Thanks,

A.T.

http://customknives.com/
Old 11-30-2003, 09:46 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Liners---pro & con-----

A.T.----There has always been a lot of controversy over the value of a lining in a folder case, either with or without a flap closure. I, personally, do not think that a lining is worth the additional time and expense involved. I once heard or read that a well known gunsmith when questioned how to avoid wear on the bluing on a holstered pistol replied, "Leave it in the box!" If a lining is to be used, I would suggest a light leather such as "chamois skin" which is very soft and supple and could be used as a simple pocket slip also. When making folder pouches, the size of the knife has to be taken into consideration. Larger knives give more of the handle to use in extracting the knife and a tighter fit can be used. A small knife should be pouched loosely in order to easily remove it from the case. I do not care for folder pouches that have no restraining flap. I see no reason for the "quick draw" so unsnapping the flap should not present a problem when compared to the loss of an expensive folder. There is that condition where the case is so tight that you can not easily remove the knife or the alternative-- so loose that you can not keep the knife in! A flap closure eliminates those conditions and you will not mourn the loss of that treasured blade. ----Sandy----

Old 11-30-2003, 10:05 PM
Steel Addict

With my folder sheaths I take a totally oposite view than our learned friend Helmar here.

Most of my folder sheaths are strapless or flapless, suede lined to protect bolsters and custom fitted to provide total security but still allow easy knife removal.

You can see one of my folder sheaths under the thread "Could someone critique please" below.

I explain to my clients that they may have a retaining strap or a flap but it is totally decoration as the fit will be that same whether it has one or not.

I prefer to use very thin suede and I've yet to see a bolster, even mirror polished ones, marked by this type of liner.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:09 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
A.T., I line the sheaths for my small fixed-blade knives with either pig skin or goat skin, and I prefer the latter. I get them from Siegel of California.

The only reason I use the lining is to protect the knife from the innards of the pocket clip and the rare earth magnet. Without those elements, I do not find it necessary.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Tags
blade, knife, knives