MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:41 PM
Skilled

if planning to stack several layers of stainless together, and want to blend seamlessly.... have fun.
id suggest getting the tang hole fit, then drill 4 1/16" holes around the tang hole to then rivet them all together as tightly as possible. the surfaces between the layers would need be perfectly flush, flat, and a 600grit finish. the fit has to be perfect, and very tight in order for the seams to blend in and vanish. its easier blending in rivets, as you are causing the pins to expand and fill in any gaps.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:02 PM
Guru

also its not a fix all but you deffinitly want to epoxy the pieces togather I have found besides the obvious waterproof barrier and hold strength ant time you us CLEAR epoxy it will help If I had to guess why I would say it helps you "see through the crack and bounce the light around I don't know exactly how it works but it deffinitly does help but as damon said yeh it need to be fit tight with all surfaces flat as possible
Old 08-02-2016, 07:52 PM
Skilled

for what I mentioned..... NO EPOXY!! it will make visible lines for sure. you need bare clean metal to metal contact.

stacking together a variety of different layers.... needs epoxy.

Tags
art, blades, bolster, buy, chef knife, damascus, design, heat, heat treat, how to, image, japanese, knife, knife making, made, make, making, material, pins, spacer, stainless, stainless steel, steel, tang, tips