MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:06 PM

Corby Bolt Issue

Ahh the old Corby bolt bit me. I am making my first kit knife and attaching my 1/4" thick burl scales with Corby bolts and epoxy. I guess I didn't drill my shoulder hole deep enough and while grinding off the bolt excess I have ground down to the where the internal threads are. ####. Only on one side though. So each bolt(3) has a hole in the middle where I guess the hollow is for the threads.

What can I do to salvage the looks of my knife? Maybe drill it out a bit and fill with black epoxy?

Also I guess I heated the bolts up a bit with the dremel as there is a dark ring around each bolt (burned). What can I do differently next time?

Live and learn I guess, thanks.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Master

One time I broke a drill bit while drilling a bolster hole. The bolsters were already glued on, and I gauged an even bigger hole trying to get it out. So I rounded the hole and filled it with epoxy and crushed emerald (rough, low grade). There was a random green dot on my bolster, but for a random green dot it looked really cool. The texture of the emerald was really nice.

You can drill it out a little (very little, you're in danger of parts coming apart) and do something like that, colored epoxy, etc.

For the overheating issue, there are two things to mitigate this. First is to use fresh belts. The cut more than they heat. Second, sand them down (I'm assuming a power-(blank) was used) in short bursts. A good rule is to hold it with your bare hands and if it's too hot to touch, stop and let it cool off.

Personally I think the burning around the pins on some woods like maple look cool.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Colored epoxy could work but you'll want to grind all the other bolts to match. Or, if you have a good drill press you might be able to drill the center in the other bolts and add epoxy rather than grinding them down and maybe making the handle too thin.

For next time there are several choices. One, use Loveless bolts instead of Corby - they are nearly foolproof. But, if you're one of those people who can't tolerate that little crescent in the middle of a Loveless bolt then your choice is to learn to measure your depths for drilling very carefully.

As for the burning, that's easy. When working with soft materials like wood, bone, horn, etc be sure to always use a fresh belt. Sharp belts run cooler. If you have variable speed, slow down. If not, shorten your dwell time on the belt and then give the handle time to cool down...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Steel Addict

You can also get some 1/8" pin of the same material as your Corbys. use a 1/8" drill to enlarge the existing hole, and epoxy the pin in. Then grind it down flush and polish. It will end up looking like Loveless bolts.

I did this on the first knife I ever made, years ago, because I did just what you did!

Tags
kit, knife, pins, press, scales