MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 08-26-2005, 12:15 AM
Skilled

Scrimshaw online tutorial?

I just saw some some amaizing job by Lori Ristinen and feel that I must try it too.
Please let me know if there is online tutorial available.

Thanks,
Alex
Old 08-26-2005, 06:31 AM
Steel Addict

Not an On-line source but

Lori's work is amazing is'nt it. I don't know of any online tutorials but I found an excellent short book on the subject in the art department at my local books a million store. the title is "Scrimshaw A Complete Illustrated Manual" by Steve Paszkiewicz & Roger Schroeder
ISBN Number 1-56523-095-7 published by Fox Books. It was $14.95 and the Gallery section is worth that.

Old 09-03-2005, 12:03 AM
Steel Addict

It has been a while since I have checked out this forum - so sorry for my late reply. I have been so busy. Thank you Alex and rrrf68 for your comments on my scrimshaw. I really do appreciate them.

I don't know of any tutorials on scrimshaw that's available on the internet. If you have any questions, just let me know - I will answer them as well as I can. I think the best book (that I know of) on scrimshaw is "The Second Scrimshaw Connection" but unfortunateley it is out of print and it is not cheap if you find a copy.

I will be at the Chicago Show next weekend - I'll be scrimming at my table on a water buffalo horn with a mountain gorilla theme. Anybody going to the show please stop in and say "hi". I'm looking forward to the show.

Lori Ristinen
www.LoriRistinen.com
Old 09-03-2005, 01:31 AM

Lori,

I've been considering a scrim handle on an upcoming project after the etch designs I'm experimenting with now.

I've heard that a tattoo machine is good tool for the trade. As a tattoo artist, I am well equipped for such an effort. Any words of wisdom here?

Thanks.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 09-03-2005, 02:38 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to singertat2 Send a message via Yahoo to singertat2
hey andrew!! i am a tattooer in vegas.i have tried to use a tattoo machine once and what i found is that regular tattoo needles are way to fine and soft to do schrimshaw.i have considered buying carbide rod in a very small diameter and chocking it up inmy lathe and turning it down to a fine point and soldering it to a needle bar.til i do that however,i am using a pin vise and some high quality sewing needles.i keep a smith's diamond sharpener with a groove for fish hooks in it on standby to keep the needle sharp.it is;nt fast but there is much ore control i think than a tattoo machine.eventually i will tune a special machine up with soft springs and small coils and run it slow and try it again,but right now i prefer to do it by hand any way.
lori has been a great help to me and has answered any question she couls about schrimshaw.i met lori earlier this year at blade and to see her work up close was a real treat for me!!! she was working on that same scene on water buff horn that she spoke of so fi ya see her at a show by all means get a gander at that mountain gorllia piece she has in progress,you will not be dissapointed!!! not to mention lori is a great and sweet person to boot!!!!-fed
Old 09-04-2005, 12:42 AM

Fed,

I've got a machine I haven't touched in some time. I think I'll try to set it up the way you describe. I'll give you a report when I get around to it.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 09-04-2005, 01:09 AM
Steel Addict

Andrew, If you get a tattoo machine to work for scrimshaw, and you like what it does, go for it. Use whatever tool that gives you the results you want.

I don't think there has been a show that I have gone to that at least one person hasn't asked if I do tattoos. I suppose it might be somewhat like scrimshaw - I only seen it done on TV.

There is a stipple machine made for doing scrimshaw. I believe Koval Knives has them. I have briefly thought about getting one, but all I can think of is that I would be losing some control in my scrim.

Fed, thank you for your comments about me and my scrimshaw. I'm glad I have enough room in my studio to accomodate my head at the moment (it's rather large). But seriously, I do appreciate your kind words. It was also nice meeting you in Atlanta. I'm glad you stopped by at my table. I "talk" to so many people that it's nice to put a face to the words.

Lori
www.LoriRistinen.com
Old 09-04-2005, 05:12 AM

Lori,

I just visited your site. WOW! Yours is far and away the finest example of scrimshaw I have ever seen.

The art is fairly new to me and the idea of attempting it is even newer. I do see many paralels between scrimshaw and tattoos. The leap shouldn't be too great. I think some old school tattoo influence might look good in ivory!

As I indicated, I'm currently following the expert advise of Francine Larstien while I attempt my first etch designs in the traditional method. Scrimshaw will follow. I can't wait until I find the ideal project to combine both in a single piece. I have visions of an image which flows seamlessly across an ivory handle onto a steel blade. Perhaps I'll engrave a bolster in between and add a third discipline to the mix!

Sounds like alotta work!

Thanks! I'll call upon your knowledge soon!

www.kansasknives.org

Old 09-04-2005, 06:12 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to singertat2 Send a message via Yahoo to singertat2
andrew,try to find some 16 or 18 gauge springs man i think that tha softer tha better!! and lemme know what ya come up with ok

lori,tha pleasure m'am was all mine!!!! it was indeed an honor to meet you as well!!-fed

Tags
blade, knife, knives