MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 07-26-2005, 11:16 AM
Enthusiast

Mike,

wore out?? 901 hasn't been out that long... buy a new handpiece??....doesnt say much for.............

try new spring and weight...

j.c.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:29 PM
Skilled

J.C.
I noticed that the QC ends that fit in the hand piece were very tight. They would actually pop when pulled out. The other day I remember one barely going in. So I sprayed a few with WD40, very light coat. Walla, now they cut nice and steady again. I can use a nice light touch when cutting instead of fighting with it. I don't know why GRS didn't suggest this. It could be the weather; it has been very hot and humid here. I'm a goldsmith/diamond setter and use a lot of pumice wheels and my gravers sit on my bench it could have been the dirt. What ever, it was it holds a nice steady stroke now.
Thanks
Mike
Old 07-26-2005, 03:57 PM
Registered

Keeping the QC ends lubed is VERY important. When too dry they will act just like a bad handpiece or piston. It must seat freely or there will be friction on the O-ring. I think GRS uses a grease type lube. I've used most anything on the bench and it seems to work. If things aren't feeling right, pull the QC and lube it.
Humidity and mositure in the piston is also and issue and should be cleaned from time to time but I think you would have a hard time wearing out a 901.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:48 AM
Enthusiast

GRS sent me synthetic grease called SuperLube in order to apply it to the QC holders (only a very, very small ammount) from time to time.
Fernando F.
(my first post in the forum)

Last edited by fcuder; 07-27-2005 at 12:51 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 07-29-2005, 06:12 AM
Steel Addict

Mike, I have been using the "SuperLube" as noted above, I got it at the GRS class. My Graver Max is about 10 years old and I've been using a Monarch the last 2 years and an 801 before that. One other thing I found to have the greatest impact (no pun intended) on handpiece performance is the air supply pressure. I found that if my tank pressure was maybe 40 psi or above the handpiece wouldn't run smoothly at low pedal pressure like trying to do shading. I added a regulator to my tank output and keep it slightly above the 10 psi my hand piece operates at. GRS now has secondary regulators available, mine is a Sears unit.

Old 07-31-2005, 09:28 PM
Skilled

Thanks Robt.
A fiend of mine told not to use WD40 because it will break down the rubber O rings in the holders. I use a pure silicon spray for rubber molds, which seems to work great. My 901 is cutter like new again. Air pressure doesn?t seem to make much difference coming from my tank I have a needle valve between my pedal and the max for fine-tuning. My air is about 40 or 50 psi. But I think I'll give a lower pressure a try. I always like to try new things.
Thanks Again
Mike Cirelli