MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 07-10-2005, 08:39 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to MJ Hofbauer
Hard Drive power hone concept

While there are other forums for tools/machinery, I felt this was best suited to be in here. I am about to start working on this idea, but it will take awhile. I just wanted to let anyone else know if it would help them, as well as get any ideas you metal scratchers might have.

My goal is simple, using a 5 1/4" hard drive, and some misc. scrap metal, plastic, and square tubing to create a power hone that is both stable, accurate and true along the plane of the tool to be sharpened, and with an solid system for afixing jigs/templates to the top. Also the ability to remove and replace the surfaces with as little work as possible.

First I plan to take apart the hard drive. I am looking to make use of only the casing, bearings/shaft, platters and motor assembly. I will remove the armature and heads, and electronics if possible. While retaining the motor speed controller would be nice, I am not sure as of yet whether it is capable of sustaining a speed slow enough to be useful. I would temporarily remove the platters to assertain whether or not it would be possible to add a spacer, and some simple lock on the top of the shaft so one could afix various grits to each of the platters, then change them out when necessary.

(Added during proofing) - This is all geared towards a standard 1/8" square cutter for now.

The casing would then be screwed to a top plate, preferably aluminum or steel with the platters diameter cutout. This will provide a solid base for jigs and fixtures. My idea is to use a template system for now. Creating a couple of 1" standoffs outside the platter area, with threaded holes. I would then take 1/2" plate, drill holes precisely at each of the angles I plan to use on a graver edge. (Drill bit size determined by max. width at corners of the square tubing) Then a piece of square tubing that is a snug, but not binding, (To be bought, or milled out) will be silver soldered into the hole with the remaining ground off. Adjusting the secondary angle appropriately when positioning. These should obviously be drilled with the thought of the rotation and position of the hone in mind. Either the edge of the template will be ground away to allow visibility of the contact area, or a hole drilled to hold a cheap loupe for a magnified view of the contact point. They are quite cheap from sources such as Harbor Freight.

It would only take seconds to switch between angles in this template setup, though you would be limited by space on how many preset angles could be prepared. I think it is best for using a specific grind on one graver, with many repeated uses.

For the abrasive, fiber optic lapping sheets comes to mind. And theres are plenty of available sizes and grits available up to 50k+. Not sure how to adhere them yet.

The hard drive came to me when thinking of something that has to spin very accurately along a plane, as well as having an extremely trued surface.

Well, that's the bulk of my thoughts/plans so far. I've got other ideas on the design and what not but I've already written a chapter, might as well wait on the book to see if anyone is interested

-MJ
Old 07-10-2005, 09:18 AM
Steel Addict

Neat concept, but I don't think the motor on a HD is powerful enough to withstand the downward force needed to generate a grinding action of the graver. And I don't think the bearings would be adequate. I don't know, though, so try and let us know.

I use a PowerHone (5" diameter wheels, at about 400 rpm), and my faceting machine (8" diameter wheels, at 1500 RPM). I don't know the HP on the PowerHone, but the faceting machine has a 1/4 HP variable speed motor, and extremely stout bearings. You'll need great bearings if you ever lean down on it at the outermost edge of the cutting disks.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:41 AM
Skilled

hobbyist in the lapidary field have been making this type of machine for over 60 years. long before anyone thought to adapt it to sharpen gravers. the basic design for it has been around for hundreds of years. the only change has been materials, tolorances and commercially availible laps and grits.

homade faceting machine

Tags
blade