MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 06-17-2005, 08:25 AM
Steel Addict

Learning to engrave

I'm going to start to learn to engrave by hand, what books would be good sources of information for a beginner? What basic tools are needed to get started? I have seen stencils or templates offered for scroll work are these a good way to get started practicing with?
Old 06-17-2005, 11:31 AM
Enthusiast

Books & Tools

Hello Tbonz.
Having taught engraving for 22 years, and started everyone off with the hand methods, I want to congratulate you on your choice of learning by hand. Nothing wrong with machines, but it's hard to beat the experience of hand tool engraving.
The best books to start with are "The Basics of Firearms Engraving" by Neil Hartliep and
"The Art of Engraving" by James B. Meek. Both of these fine books are available from Brownell's, 800-741-0015 www.brownells.com
The best place to buy your starting hand tools is the Ngraver Company, 860-823-1533,
www.ngraver.com. Talk to Ray or Brian Phillips and they can be a lot of help.
Ngraver has a little book for $5.00 that will be a lot of help too. They also carry "Scroll
Design" by Ron Smith but that may be a little advanced at first. A "must have" later.
Ngraver makes an excellent set of scroll templates to get you started. But you must keep practicing drawing these yourself, that's the best way to go in the future.
Hope this is some help to get you going. Welcome to the ranks of the metal cutters!
My very best wishes with your new adventure, enjoy it.

JohnB.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:34 PM
Steel Addict

Beginner engraver

Hi John, Thanks for the information. I will check out the books and templates you recommended. I hope to get started practicing in the next few weeks.
later
Tim