MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 06-10-2005, 06:20 AM
Steel Addict

Tim:

When is the next major Knife Show, and hooplah (oink-oink)? As I said, this was my first Knife Show, and a blew past most everything to see only engraver's works. Next time, I'll be a bit more aware of the knifemaker's works, and have my eyes tuned in for potential canvas.

Mark
Old 06-10-2005, 06:39 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Just an ever-so-tiny ammendment to Tim's last post: we have the same opportunity for discussion and fellowship at the Chicago show (at least we did last year), so there's no reason we can't make this at least a twice-a-year event!

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 06-10-2005, 10:43 AM
Master

Friend Don and Rum

I have been happy of vairs in the picture; I had liked to be among you and to share a beautiful time for the conversation.
I find at both very well. A hug and thank you for the picture (I keep it in my computer )

Antonio
------------------------------

Amigo Don y Ron

Me he alegrado de veros en la fotograf?a ; me hubiera gustado estar entre ustedes y compartir un precioso tiempo para la conversaci?n .
Les encuentro muy bien a los dos . Un abrazo y gracias por la foto ( la guardo en mi ordenador )

Antonio
Old 06-10-2005, 11:18 AM
Living Legend

Hi Monti. yes it would have been nice if you could have been able to join us we all had a good time and it was very nice to share engraving ideas with each other i am sure that i speak for us all. we would of liked to have been able to see your work amd examine it up close for it is very beautiful .. ron

Old 06-10-2005, 12:39 PM
Guru

Mark, Don's spot on [as the Brits say] about the Chicago Show.
It's a smaller venue than Blade but the level of talent and knife art is something to see.
Hope you can make the trip.

Tim

Old 06-10-2005, 03:32 PM

This was my third year to attend Blade, and it was easily the best show and absolute best time I have had at any knife show to date.

For starters, I truly enjoyed meeting and hanging out with my roommate (and namesake), Mark Greenbaum. We hit it off right away, and found that we had much in common (I'm more certain than ever that we must be related). The good news was that he is a very fun and personable guy, who happens to be quite knowledgeble on many subjects. The bad news was that we both enjoy talking, and as a result we stayed up very late each night chatting until 3:00am or later. FYI-As a very pleasant surprise, I found out that Mark is an excellent guitar player...He brought along his Martin traveling guitar and played some of his original instrumental compositions for me...NICE!

BTW-Mark, next time we take a photo together, let's do it at the beginning of the show...After three days on my feet I was an absolute wreck when that photo was taken (for those who don't know, in the photo Mark posted over on page one of this thread, I'm the guy in the plaid shirt with the very tired-looking eyes).

Regarding the Blade show: From the minute the doors opened on Friday until the show closed Sunday afternoon, the traffic was non-stop. For the third year in a row, I was helping out my good friend Kelly Carlson at his table and as always he was kind enough to let me put out a few of my knives at one end of his table.* As usual, Kelly had a terrific show...His folders are just wonderful...he sold thirteen of them!.

With my committment to help keeping an eye on Kelly's table, I was not able to get around the show as much as I would have liked. There was soooo much to see! And for the most part when I wasn't at Kelly's table I was busy signing up makers, engravers, etc for the new book. That took a lot of my time and so I do apologize if I missed getting around to seeing any of you at your tables.

I do want to make mention of a knife, which I was lucky enough to see before it sold...it really caught my fancy...Don Cowles and Jim Small collaborated on a knife, and the results were very special. Jim was provided with a great canvas and was given "carte blanche" to do his thing...and he sure didn't disappoint. I just loved those little flowers!

The entire weekend was a blast, but if there was a highlight it had to be the dinner on Saturday night. As reported, the food was excellent (as always)...and although I do agree with Mark, that it was too bad we couldn't interact with those further down the table (I think there must have been at least 30 of us?), the conversation down at our end was terrific! Lee is a truly fascinating fellow and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting and talking with him.

It wan't until the dinner had ended and most of those in attendence had left, that I got to meet Simon Lytton. I had no idea he was even there! It was a distinct honor to meet him and happily I got to talk with this immensely talented and well-known engraver at some length. I hope he had a safe trip back to England.

I could go on and on, but suffice to say I had a great time...and that was due in no small part to the folks from this forum. What a great bunch! Can't wait to do it again next year (Chances are I will make it to the Chicago show...If there's another get together, please count me in).

Dennis Greenbaum

*Because of my ongoing health problem, which began last Fall, my knife production has been lower than hoped, so I only had three knives to put out on Kelly's table. Happily my new "mini-balisong" sold quickly on Friday (It fetched a very good price) and I've already begun designs for the next one. With all the positive response it got at the show I definitely plan on making many more. (The owner has requested that I not post photos of the knife until he's had a chance to photograph it and post it as a "featured knife" on his well-known website. So it'll probably be a few weeks before I'll be able to post pics of my own in the Display Case).

Old 06-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Dennis, I just posted a Point Seven pic of that knife on the Display Case! Thanks for the kind words.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 06-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Master

Friend Ron

For me it would be an entire pleasure some day, to converse with you and with Don Cowles. You are very good artisans and for sure it would be good to enrich our knowledge of the engraving.

Thank you for their words.

Montejano

------------------------

Amigo Ron

Para m? ser?a todo un placer alg?n dia , conversar con usted y con Don Cowles . Ustedes son muy buenos artesanos y seguro que servir?a para enriquecer nuestros conocimientos del grabado .

Gracias por sus palabras .

Montejano
Old 06-14-2005, 10:20 AM
Skilled

This was my first Blade show and go figure I was blown away! I had this plan that I was going to hit all these tables to finally see the works of many knifemakers that I've only seen on the internet. By the time the show had closed on sunday I had barely met even half of the people I had hoped to see.

All told I had a good first Blade show and of course met many great people and saw lots of amazying knives. The talent out there is really incredible!

See ya next year. Man that's a long way off!

Sean

Knifemaker's Guild - Voting Member
Custom Knife Collectors Association

Homepage: www.oharecustomknives.com
Email: sean@oharecustomknives.com
Old 06-15-2005, 06:18 AM
Steel Addict

Tim & others:

When is the Chicago Show? and Where? I've looked in the events calendar, and I cannot find a listing for it. I'd love to go, and this time my wife insisted on going (to Chicago). She loves the Windy City, and there would be plenty to do for the kids (Aquarium, Museums ("SUE the T-rex"), shopping....). Maybe I'd better leave them at home again ($$$).

Thanks for the help, and I'm still trying to digest what knowledge and sights I ingested at the Blade Show.

Mark in Nashville, TN
Old 06-15-2005, 08:07 AM
Master

Mark,

I think you would like the Chicago Show. It is much smaller and much more (for lack of a better word) intimate. The show is not so big that you get lost in the building like at the Blade Show. Better yet it is all cusom handmade work. No factory reps there.

Ed does an excellent job putting that show together and promoting it. He has attracted some of the countries best knifemakers and embellishers. The show has a laid back relaxed atmosphere in which you can sit and enjoy conversation with folks and still do business. I took in about 6 months work last year at that show and it was fun not laborous. Needless to say I will be going back.

I don't have the dates but I believe that Ed has a web site for the show. You might try doing a google search for Chicago Custom Knife Show.

Ray

ray@rcoverengraving.com
Old 06-15-2005, 09:56 PM
Steel Addict

I just found out last weekend that I have a table for the Chicago show! I missed it last year. I hope to make it a regular show from now on - it's close enough that I can get there in a day (that's always a nice thing)!

Mark in Nashville,
If you want to know more about the show, exhibitors, etc. go to www.chicagocustomknifeshow.com

It's September 9-10 (a Friday and Saturday show).
I'm looking forward to it!

Lori
www.LoriRistinen.com
Old 06-15-2005, 09:59 PM
Guru

Glad to see you got in Lori.

Now I can quit badgering [pun] you...

See ya there!

Tim

Old 06-15-2005, 10:31 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks Tim!
There are a couple other people that might stop "Badgering" me as well. I'll see you there!

I could have had a table last year. I was on a waiting list. He called me a day or two before the show and it just wasn't enough notice - mainly for Greg to get the time off from work. This show is at the right time of year - it doesn't interfere with Greg's duck hunting in North Dakota! That's a priority and I totally understand it!

Lori
www.LoriRistinen.com
Old 06-23-2005, 04:50 AM
Registered

tim..as a new comer to your engravers bunch at the dinner I was so empressed eith all the knowledge being passed around on all sides.. I have met so many more high class knife people at this show than all the other shows at the BLADE.. to this I want to thank my friend JOE MASON for giving me the opertunity to meet all of you.. thank much and I hope to keep intouch for next year

Tags
balisong, blade, butterfly knife, knife, knives